Falcon II 64g - performance improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by six.four View Post
    It looks like your SSD partition is not aligned judging by the fact that only your write speeds are suffering.

According to his screen shot the alignment is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      According to his screen shot the alignment is OK.
      I'm not familiar with the benching tool he's using - but how did you gather that?

I don't see any value for the starting offset.

If 103424 is the offset, it's not divisible evenly by 4096 - it is not aligned.

Comment

Use this to find out if the drive is aligned:

Tool here ...
        Last edited by Leo; 11-28-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Use this to find out if the drive is aligned:

Tool here ...
          lol.

All you have to do to find out if your falcon ssd is aligned is find the starting offset and if it is divisible evenly by 4096.. then it is aligned. If not, it's not aligned. It's that simple.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the info . Can you tell me how I find value for the starting offset in order to calculate whether the SSD is aligned or not.

Also, here is a link to the benchmark tool I used - http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4 - I use Chrome and Google translator to translate from German to English.

Comment

Craig,

did you use the link I posted?

It also explains where you can find the information you need.

Comment

Apologies Leo I had looked at the link but failed to see the "How to get it" links.

Using the calculator it turns out that my SSD is aligned. On the one hand I suppose that is good but on the other hand it does not solve my problem. Looks as though I will need to do a clean install of W7.

Comment

Craig,

I wouldn't be concerned about your drive. The benchmark you have is very similar to mine. You will never have the same readings all of the time.

My recommendation is to leave your system as is. I say this because my drive has been in use for nearly a year. I benchmark every so often. Compared to my early benchmarks my drive has actually improved in speed. I can only conclude that trim and other functions within Windows 7 are working properly.

Comment

Thanks Leo. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X