Sandforce and HD Tune "roller coaster" issue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mauro

I?m waiting new firmware or GSKILL Tool Box .

I hate firmware 3.1
    Receive my best regard

Comment

Cara, mas que povo enrolado!

Comment

Please, someone from gskill, give me more information about this:

Will the phoenix pro 80gb always have an inferior read speed compared to the 60gb, because of its hardware design differences, or will you guys release a new firmware to make the 80gb perform at least equal to the 60gb (in read speeds)?

Also, can you give me more details on the differences between the 60gb and 80gb? What else has changed between them? Is the 80gb really an inferior drive compared to the 60gb? What about life expectation, is it the same for both drives? Please give me more details on what has changed in the hardware / layout design between the 60gb and 80gb phoenix pro.
        Last edited by mauro; 11-20-2010, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if HD Tune is a proper benchmark to be using for SSD performance. I just took two benchmarks using ATTO and HD Tune Pro as shown below. Notice how ATTO reports nearly full speeds at about ~275/260 R/W. Now with HD Tune, read doesn't even surpass 200 MB/s. These results are on a Phoenix Pro 60GB running FW 3.1 and Intel RST 10.0.0.1046. The OCZ forum has many discussions about Sandforce performance, and the results on those drives are quite similar. Basically, some benchmarks use compressible data (faster results) while others use incompressible data (slower results).
          Last edited by Weenz; 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mauro View Post
            Please, someone from gskill, give me more information about this:

Will the phoenix pro 80gb always have an inferior read speed compared to the 60gb, because of its hardware design differences, or will you guys release a new firmware to make the 80gb perform at least equal to the 60gb (in read speeds)?

Also, can you give me more details on the differences between the 60gb and 80gb? What else has changed between them? Is the 80gb really an inferior drive compared to the 60gb? What about life expectation, is it the same for both drives? Please give me more details on what has changed in the hardware / layout design between the 60gb and 80gb phoenix pro.
            Hi mauro,

because 80GB its hardware design so its performance will lower than 60GB.
            Honestly, new firmware isn't able to solve this problem.It is not defective or issue.
            I am sorry about that.
            but it won't affect its life, please don't worry about that.
            80GB and 60GB have same flash and controller, just PCB layout is different.

Comment

80GB is 6channel and 60GB is 8channel. 80GB has 96GB of flash NAND (big spare area around 25%) and 60GB 64GB of flash NAND (medium spare area around 13%)

Comment

Originally posted by miso View Post
                80GB is 6channel and 60GB is 8channel. 80GB has 96GB of flash NAND (big spare area around 25%) and 60GB 64GB of flash NAND (medium spare area around 13%)
                Can gskill confirm is this information is true? If that is true, I believe the larger spare area of the 80GB could in theory make it last longer than the 60gb?

Comment

Right,

This information is true.
                  because 80GB is 6( or 3) channel so its performance is lower than 60GB.
                  It is longer life than 60GB in theory.

Comment

I think I'll just wait for the next firmware before I do anything with this drive. I realize Gskill does not make the Sandforce drivers and I'm not upset with anybody, but so far I have been disappointed due to the firmware. That said, I'll just wait for the next firmware update before doing anything else with this drive.

Comment

help

I also see a problem worse: (

I format it with partion magic, I reinstall the system 3 times but nothing was done.

help me please you sil

Comment

Hi dark-hitoshi

did you use erase tool?
                        only format is not enough.

Comment

yes I erased with partion magic as in the guide

I even use a trick to gain some slight performance
                          http://portables4gamers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8479

Comment

Sorry dark,

how did you install OS?
                            Did you set C-state to disable?

Comment

I install it in different ways.
                              I start formatting with the trick you gave me with partition magic and then I also try to restore a true image by image. you mean by C-state to disable? thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by dark-hitoshi View Post
                                I install it in different ways.
                                I start formatting with the trick you gave me with partition magic and then I also try to restore a true image by image. you mean by C-state to disable? thank you.
                                Hi, are you sure, that the "Partition Magic" is the same as the "Parted Magic" here recommended?

Comment

Working...
                                X