winehelper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winehelper

I just ordered a Phoenix pro and was thinking of how I would update the fw. So I thought I always use Wine to run exe files in OS X no problems so it should work. I have no tested this yet as I don't have my drive, link > http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
    You will need X11 to run X windows. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10464/apple-x11

Who wants to try it???

Edit:
    WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator
    http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Win...2b984180ef9a38
    Last edited by thirdshiftdj; 11-13-2010, 12:44 PM.

First post here is asking someone to be your guinea pig?

I see a positive community member in the making.

In any event, being that you will have no data on this drive updating your firmware should cut your hassle in half. Very unlikely that the emulation program will work.

Comment

I'm giving out suggestions. Let me wait to post 6 more times so i can get up to your superior post count. I should have way more pull then.

edit: Also Winebottler lets you convert to .app from exe
      Last edited by thirdshiftdj; 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

don't remember talking about my superior post count as i said, very unlikely it will work. let us know how you make out.

Comment

After I read your reply I thought to myself, "This guys sounds like a well established member." Then I looked up and noticed join date, haha. All of a sudden you know what type of community member a person is by judging their first post. You should be the official GSkill forum greeter

Edit: Info on WINE and why it has a good chance of working.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Win...b5105b61b85761

When users think of emulators, they think of programs like Dosbox or zsnes. These applications run as virtual machines and are slow, having to emulate each processor instruction. Wine does not do any CPU emulation - hence the name "Wine Is Not an Emulator."
          Some people argue that since Wine introduces an extra layer above the system a Windows application will run slowly. While technically true, Wine is no different from any other software library in this regard; even newer versions of Windows must load extra resources to support older applications.
          Importantly, the combination of Wine and Unix can sometimes be faster than Windows itself. This is especially true when the system has good drivers and the application isn't exposing any Performance Related Bugs.
          See also: BenchMarks
          Last edited by thirdshiftdj; 11-13-2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I'm not discrediting your idea.

The way you presented it seemed as if you had an agenda. The one problem, there is a lot more grey area than black and white. Hate to see someone who might not fully understand the consequences of a bad flash end up with a paper weight. Fairly confident G.Skill would not RMA a drive which was attempted to be flashed in such a manner.

Comment

I'm sure everyone knows that flashing firmware, bios and anything of that nature can brick a device. It's always proceed w/ your own caution. I haven't seen any flashing tutorials that don't say "proceed w/ caution". I listed an idea that can/may work. Just trying to be the positive contributing member that you sarcastically stated earlier. Perhaps you should re-read your first post which was 10% constructive. Your doing a good job of back peddling now though.

edit: Anywho...
              Last edited by thirdshiftdj; 11-13-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

My first post reads exactly as it was intended to. No, not everyone fully understands the ramifications of a bad flash. This is G.Skill's main source of support which most vendors point to. You get a wide variety of skill levels and knowledge.

Your idea may and can work, you fully understand the risk, attempt it then report back. The way your first post comes across is exactly how I stated earlier, it reads as if you had an agenda. Perhaps ultimately to find a solution but with the knowledge it has greater potential then normal to go wrong. Positive and contributing members would also list the consequences.

Your idea goes against the advice given by G.Skill on this forum. Perhaps you could have found a better place to offer this suggestion. This is their support forum not your development/test forum.
                Last edited by patrick; 11-14-2010, 06:45 AM.

Comment

"My first post reads exactly as it was intended to"

So you agree that you came out sounding like an ***?

First off, you think I came here w/ some crazy AGENDA to prey on innocent, naive members for an experiment of my own to have them be a guinea pig so I will know if my idea works or not. Thats pretty elaborate. My suggestion is no different than any member going to google to search how to run .exe in os x. Arguing w/ you is pointless. You keep back peddling, because you spoke w/out having first research WINE. You couldn't be more wrong. I started this thread because I read in another thread that OS X members didn't have a way to flash. A mod then replied they had asked Sandforce about us OS X members in which they have not received any comment. So there that is why I started this thread. It was for a reason.

edit: heres a friendly smiley for you
                  This is going nowhere. I'm not going to sit here and defend myself. Your delusional.
                  Last edited by thirdshiftdj; 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
                    First off, you think I came here w/ some crazy AGENDA to prey on innocent, naive members for an experiment of my own to have them be a guinea pig so I will know if my idea works or not.
                    Correct.

You keep back peddling, because you spoke w/out having first research WINE.
                    I'm not back peddling about anything, it is very unlikely this will work.

P.S. Here is a smiley for you

Comment

I see what your doing. Your saying it's very unlikely this will work so when I get my drive I'll try it out first to show you . Your good.

Comment

I see what your doing. Your saying it's very unlikely this will work so when I get my drive I'll try it out first to show you . Your good.
                        I've said it's very unlikely this would work all along. However, thanks for confirming what I've been saying the whole time about your agenda.

That is all, have a nice day.

Comment

Sarcasm...perhaps you didn't notice it was oozing out of my statement

Comment

Gentlemen

actually I have no idea what's going on.
                            so please calm down.
                            We welcome the voice of each different views.
                            that's mean all of you support G.SKILL.
                            we are appreciate.
                            thiredshiftdj: we are looking forward your result

Comment

Working...
                            X