No announcement yet.

Very slow write speeds with new 60gb Phoenix Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple things I have noticed since I got my 60GB Phoenix Pro. I got 2 of them and am running them in a RAID 0 on ICH10R. When I first got them I flashed them to 3.1 and cloned my OS from my old velociraptor RAID0 to my new SSD array write speeds were the same like yours way slow and the drive was about 90% full

Wasn't happy with my performance so I reformatted after I secure erased the drives. This is on a fresh install now with 50% capacity.

Also Sandforce drives don't have cache so you don't need to enable write caching it doesn't do anything.

Comment

Hmm - I think the difference between your drives and mine is that your write speeds look fine even at 90% capacity. Your write speeds are within a reasonable margin of error. Mine are significantly below.

Haven't gotten a chance to format/bench, but I'll report back when

Comment

six.four,

you might have a "strange / problematic" drive.
        take a look at this thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6831

bench with HD Tune, and tell us if you get that bizarre "roller coaster" graph.

Comment

Just wanted to post an update to my problem - of which I found the solution to.

The problem was partition alignment. A common issue when cloning drives to SSDs apparently.

The reason why a clean install works is because in a clean install, windows will automatically align your partition. When using an image to clone a drive, most of the time, the partition alignment isn't preserved, hence the terrible write speeds.

Fixing the problem entailed first formatting your SSD with the correct partition offset, and then moving the image over to the SSD. It was a huge pain to do moving images back and forth, but alas, my drive is up and running as it should be.

In regards to the HDTune problem posted above, I have the same "rollercoaster" issue. Though I'm not sure what the problem is - or if it is even a problem at all.

Comment

This is true although which progams keep that alignment and those that don't is open to debate.

For my part, i have been using Macrium Reflect and i can say it does keep the alignment after a secure erase and re-image back.

I use Paragon alignment tool to check and it passes. But i does make a difference to some of the speeds mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Yes, it's a hit or miss whether or not your cloning software preserves the partition alignment. There are plenty who have used Acronis True Image (same software I use) and their alignment is fine.

Alignment - as you can see from my speed tests, makes an enormous difference in write speeds. Aside from the benches, I can literally feel the difference in everyday use.

Needless to say - SSD users that clone their drives need to be cognizant of the importance of aligning your partitions.

Comment

Working...
              X