ASUS Maximus Formula - Insalled SSD, raid drives won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Maximus Formula - Insalled SSD, raid drives won't work

I recently purchased my single GSKILL FM-25S2S-120GBP2 R and changed bios from RAID to ACHI, loaded W7. Plugged raid volumes back in and changed bios to raid, cannot get windows to boot.

History
    Maximus Formula board
    Controller
    Intel ICH9R
    JMicron JMB368

Previous Setup Bios SATA Setting andI would like to keep the Seagate in RAID1
    Raid - Raid 0 with WD velociraptors (boot),
    Raid1 Seagate 750s for data
    I pulled all drives out and installed SSD on port 1 (first sata port)

Thanks,

KOREDISH

seems like your options are

a) run all drives in non-RAID AHCI mode

or

b) try to configure the SSD and reinstall Windows 7 (or mess with installing the RAID drivers after the fact) to run in RAID mode
    *** you might have potential issues with SSD utilities not being able to access or update the firmware
    *** not sure if the RAID mode will let you run use the SSD in JBOD (just a bunch of disks) or non-RAID configuration
    *** RAID mode provides an abstraction layer so the system won't be able to access the disks directly; the most direct access will probably be through the Intel RAID/Storage utility.

Comment

to be tested ...

Your config is a bit complicated ,non raid + raid 0 + raid 1 lol ...
      but never tested all that stuff at the same time :

If you install windows in ahci or ide mode i think you can't revert or change ide/ahci to raid after install. ide to AHCI after install is well possible, i had to do that in some cases. change ahci in bios to raid mode give always BSOD at boot.

Disconnect all existing raid disks , leave only the SSD on port 1 and DVD on port 2 (same connector block on mb) by example ... configure bios to raid instead AHCI. in raid bios don't make anything ( you should see the ssd marked as non-raid disk. in raid bios screen ) boot on windows CD/ DVD , at the begin of installation where you can choice the partitions etc, you can insert an usb stick with latest intel raid driver but it's facultative with win7 because it support intel raid natively and SSD is well detected ) . go to advanced options and delete any partition on the ssd and leave windows recreate the system/partitions automatically.
      After the installation of windows , reconnect you raid disks correctly like before. exemple raid 0 on port 3 and 4 (same connector block) , raid 1 on other like port 5 or 6 , leave dvd-rom on the same connector block as the ssd (port 2). normally old raid volumes were not affected but you can always reset / delete /recreate them if you want.

port 1 : SSD
      port 2 : DVD
      port 3 and 4 : raid 0
      port 5 , 6 : raid 1

they appears now in raid bios like before and ssd as non raid disk. lunch windows, raid volumes will be installed.
      To ensure max performance update intel drivers now with the latest RST v10.0.46.

Good luck ...
      Last edited by Roylion15; 11-05-2010, 12:26 AM.
      Config 1 :ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 980x, 12 GB GSkill PI series 1600 CL7, Intel G2 160 GB SSD, 2x WD black series, GTX470.

Config 2: ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 975x, 12 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7, Phoenix pro 120 GB SSD, 3x WD green series, GTX280.

Comment

Hi

my suggestion is

set OS drive (SSD) via JMicron JMB368 on AHCI mode.

set whatever you want RAID mode and DVD on native SATA port.

maybe it can work

Comment

@Gskill

Jmicron controller JMB368 on this board is just a PATA (IDE) interface.
          So he can't connect SSD on this ...

I tested single clean disk (non raid) in "Raid" mode set in bios (instead AHCI) on port 1 on Asus P5E. DVD-ROM was here an old PATA drive connected to Jmicron controller for install.

( P5E is the same based board ) and it's working, i installed win 7 x64 with none problem and no need to insert driver disk ...
          then he can attach raid disks to other ports and create raid 0,1 volumes without affecting the OS non-raid volume...
          Config 1 :ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 980x, 12 GB GSkill PI series 1600 CL7, Intel G2 160 GB SSD, 2x WD black series, GTX470.

Config 2: ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 975x, 12 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7, Phoenix pro 120 GB SSD, 3x WD green series, GTX280.

Comment

Hi Roylion15

thank you for reminding me that.
            I am sorry .
            You know I became silly recently

Comment

Update

I can install windows 7 64 bit when in AHCI mode only. I cannot seem to install in RAID. 1.) I have tried connecting just the SSD alone, but windows says hardware is not supported when I try and install. 2.) When I have multiple drives connected in RAID, all show up as non RAID with the exception of the SSD. Ideas?

Thanks

KOREDISH

Comment

BIOS storage=RAID
                [When you install Windows ==> button F6 ==> load RAID drivers] <=== This step does not work?

AHCI change RAID try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Comment

Solved

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have solved the problem I had 1302 bios which evidently didn't support and upgraded to 1402. Solved.

Of Course.

Comment

Working...
                  X