64 GB Falcon 2030 Update Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 GB Falcon 2030 Update Problems

When I load my Bootable USB stick and run the 64GB exe file in the command prompt, it says I'm using the wrong operating version. I'm using Win 7 64 Professional. Please don't tell me that I need to find a 32 bit OS to update this drive!

sorry, it is not about the OS.

did you follow our guide step by step?

Comment

Yes I did follow the sticky. I ended up making a win98 boot disk from a few threads ago. The SSD updated to 2030 but didn't erase it. Should I be worried? I'm going to use GParted to wipe it now.

Comment

Hi

I suggest downgrade to FW 1916 and use clean tool then upgrade to 2030.
        Do you know how to make a bootable USB and operate it on DOS mode.
        sorry, I have to ask because I want to figure it out.

Comment

I couldn't use Gparted or the HDErase program. Gparted came up with a permission denied error and HDerase just crashed.
          So I did as you said and Downgraded,cleaned and then updated to 2030 again using a DOS boot disk. All is running fine at the moment, thanks for your help.

Comment

Falcon II upgrade problems

Like others I am having problems interpreting the instructions for the upgrade to 2030.

When I tried a bootable Win98/dos usb stick it told me that the 128GB_1.exe file was not a
            DOS application ..and a close reading of the instructions seems to indicate you need a full Win 7 or Vista install on another drive and to run as administrator. Is this correct please?

It is also not clear whether you have to install the jumper. Perhaps the Falcon II instructions might say 'don't install the jumper' [like they do in the Falcon I instructions].

And if you have Win 7 already installed on the ssd do you need to remove the 100Mb partition ie wipe the ssd before you start the upgrade? [Instructions say remove partitions].

Some detailed clear instructions, written by someone who understands the process fully and has English as a first language, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Raymondo

Falcon II doesn't need bootable USB.
              please follow our firmware upgrade instroduction.
              FW 2030 doesn't have to use jumper we are sorry for neglecting it.
              we always recommend customer backup data, it would be safer.
              it doesn't matter about remove or not, just don't let FALCON ll be OS drive.
              I am sorry for my bad English, I will study hard.

Comment

@GSKILL

While I know that you are the professionals I feel that I have to disagree with your statement about the jumper.

I spent a very frustrating half day trying to upgrade my Falcon II 64G.

Only until I remembered that the SSD came with a jumper did the upgrade work for me.

Therefore in IMO it is best one uses the jumper while upgrading the SSD.

Comment

Hi GSkill Administrator
                  thank you for your fast response. By the way I am in awe of people who can speak another language so my request was not directed at you personally but rather at your organisation which has the responsibility for the quality of support it offers and how that support is presented. Please feel free to forward my comments to your manager.

I am still confused about the firmware upgrade.

I tried a different approach but was still unsuccessful.

First I did a full Win 7 Ultimate 64bit system image disk backup of my ssd. Then I disconnected my Falcon II 128Gb ssd boot disk and my SATA data drive and did a fresh temporary install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on a reformatted older 120Gb IDE hdd. I then reconnected the Falcon II to its orginal SATA_0 connector, kept the Bios in IDE mode and booted into Win 7 off the IDE 120GB hdd. I ran the 2030 update (no jumper on the ssd) off a USB flash drive and was warned that there was still a partition o the Falcon II. I deleted the main partition and the 100 Mb Win 7 special partition off the Falcon II ssd. I then ran the 2030 update again. As there was no partition warning this time I proceeded to nominate the disk number and start the firmware upgrade.

I then received an error message "Download_microcode not supported on this platform" in the command prompt window.

I thought I had done everything right. Hardware is Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 mobo with an Intel i5-660 processor and 8 Gb Ram. Apart form some slowness when re-awakening after entering a low power state everything works well. I am a bit surprised that after some 6 months I'm down to 82% health using the Indilinx ssd utility.

I removed the 120GB IDE disk and rebooted off my original Win 7 64 bit install disk and did a full system image restore back to the Falcon II and all is well. But no firmware upgrade.

Things I do not understand are:
                  * why do I get the error message about the microcode.
                  * your answer suggests that a backup is only for protection ... yet the upgrade software warns about partitions and Win 7 uses partitions in its standard install format (the 100 Mb partition and then main partition) ... I assume you have to delete the partitions and lose the data and so you have to do a backup.
                  * the need to use the jumper. At http://www.patriotmemory.com/softwar...mware_2030.pdf the instructions say to use the jumper yet G.Skills says no jumper required. I see that Leo (in this thread) only had success with the jumper. I am yet to try their firmware available from http://www.patriotmem.com/support/firmwarep.jsp (see 128Gb 2030 version)

I note that I raised the partition and jumper issues in my first email.

I would appreciate a comprehensive response to my problem please, starting with any mistakes in process and dealing with the error message. I suggest that the 2030 upgrade instructions need to be revised to provide further detail and clarity, including any special settings (run as administrator, check compatability etc) for particular versions of Windows ie XP, Vista and 7 (32 and 64bit).

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Raymono

Comment

Hi Raymondo

I know Falcon ll upgrade procedure made lots of customers confuse.
                    I am sorry about that.
                    FW 2030 should operate on OS mode, it is not on DOS mode.
                    but you need another OS drive.
                    When you upgrade Falcon ll, it can't be OS drive.
                    if you upgrade fail, most of situation is caused by bad block.
                    I am sorry FW 2030 without clean tool.
                    it must downgrade to FW 1916 and clean.
                    then upgrade to 2030
                    we try to figure out more easy way to upgrade Falcon ll.
                    but we need more time.

Comment

@Raymondo

In desperation while I was fighting with the upgrade I downgraded back to FW 1916 with clean function and then upgraded back to FW 2030. Just maybe it was this step that finally did it. Who knows
                      Nonetheless, I used the jumper with my upgrade and my drive is running fine with FW 2030.

Comment

Working...
                      X