Firmware Update Problem Phoenix Pro 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware Update Problem Phoenix Pro 120

Serious problem in updating to firmware 3.1 using update tool for SSD drive used for OS. During update got the BSOD. Failed to reboot because no boot device found. Was finally able to get a reboot but BIOS no longer lists any drives (just a blank area where drives should be listed). Windows sees drives correctly even though BIOS does not. Performance seems to be OK, though I am not sure about speed. WEI scores drive at 7.7.

I used the update tool hoping to see which version of firmware it showed. However, the tool scands for drives but then reports no drives found.

Help much appreciated.

Bob
    Last edited by rwhillman; 11-02-2010, 05:44 AM.

notes as to sata drivers may be of help in getting the SSD to be detected properly by the utility:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showpost....57&postcount=4

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6689

Comment

Thanks. Read through the links and am confused what the next step is. I don't want to mess things up any more than they already are.

Comment

Help? Anyone?

To clarify, after attempt to update to firmware 3.1 drive is working and no system problems are apparent, BUT BIOS shows I have no drives at all and firmware updater is unable to locate any SSD drive. Windows 7 sees all the drives.

Comment

Bob,

Check to make sure your SSD is connected to the primary SATA controller ports instead of secondary controllers like Marvell or Silicon Image. The main BIOS usually treats the secondary controllers as separate SCSI/RAID add-in cards with independent BIOS and drive management. That might be the reason you don't see the SSD listed in the main BIOS. You might have an easier time reading the drive information from Windows using the primary controller with appropriate drivers.

Comment

Thanks very much for the suggestion. The SSD is connected to the SATA 1 port, which I believe is a primary SATA port. No problem with BIOS recognition of SSD or other drives until I tried last night to update to firmware 3.1 from 2.1. Now, nothing shows in BIOS although everything shows in Win 7.

Comment

hi guys

please upgrade motherboard BIOS and re-upgrade FW 3.1 again

Comment

I am using BIOS version 1302 (ASUS P7P55D-E Pro), which is the most recent version. After repeated reboots (>10) bios now sees drives, however the GSkill updater does not and continues to show no SSD drive found.

Comment

Bob,

According to the manual, your motherboard has 3 storage controllers:
                  a) 6 x SATA 3Gbps (blue) - Intel P55 Express
                  b) JMicron - 2 PATA/IDE, 1 SATA 3 Gbps (black), 1 ESATA 3 Gbps
                  c) Marvell PCIe - 2 x SATA 6 Gbps (gray)

For the sake of troubleshooting, I'd advise you use either of the 2 single blue Intel SATA connectors close to your RAM slots; there also another 4 blue Intel SATA ports next to the white/gray Marvell ports. The black Jmicron SATA is by the USB headers.

Make sure the Intel SATA mode in the BIOS is set to something like AHCI instead of RAID so the BIOS can display the SSD natively. The Marvell and Jmicron controllers have similar AHCI modes.

If you still have a working HDD with bootable OS on it. Troubleshooting is easier if you boot off the HDD and look at the SSD as a non-boot device.

The relevant sections in the manual are:
                  3.4.1 - 3.4.3 Intel controller
                  3.6.3 - Jmicron & Marvell controllers

Motherboard PDF manual link:
                  http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...ntent=download

What version of SATA drivers are you using for the Intel storage controller?

I'd recommend the reinstalling the chipset & IRST drivers for your P55 Express chipset:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-029901.htm

to sum up:

1) if bootable HDD is available, connect to blue SATA1 port by RAM slots
                  2) connect SSD to blue SATA2 port by RAM slots
                  3) if SATA1 or SATA2 are blocked/inaccessible, use any of the remaining 4 blue ports
                  *** blue SATA ports are the Intel controller
                  4) set SATA mode for Intel controller to AHCI
                  5) check to see if SSD shows in BIOS & Firmware update utility
                  if not:
                  6) try reinstalling appropriate chipset & Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers
                  7) reboot & check again
                  if you have problems booting with AHCI mode, set to IDE and do your checks

AHCI mode is generally recommended for better performance

last resort options are to continue troubleshooting on the Marvell / Jmicron controllers in AHCI mode and check if SSD shows up in the utility

after troubleshooting, i'd recommend running in AHCI mode on the Intel controllers with the latest official Intel drivers due to their maturity and prevalence.

Comment

Thanks for the very specific ideas. I will follow your suggestions, probably this weekend, and report back on what happens.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X