G Skill Phoenix Pro 120Gb SSD & U6V Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Skill Phoenix Pro 120Gb SSD & U6V Problem

I bought the drive from Newegg recently for $195.

I cannot get the BIOS to detect the drive. It just hangs when it tries to detect ACHI Port 0 (were the SSD is). I tried IDE mode, no luck, more hanging. Tried updating the bios from 207 to 214. Also no luck. It works perfectly on my friend Toshiba laptop with the same PM45/ICH9-M chipset.

Stumped, should I just sell it to my friend or RMA the drive. Anyone else use this drive ok with this laptop?

Have you try different sata cable?

Comment

I have the exact same issue. I've tried different motherboard sata ports & sata cables but it hangs for about 30-35 seconds when it tries to detect it in bios/post. All my other regular HDDs are detected but the brand new Phoenix pro is dead it seems.

I'm yet to test it in a different machine.

My specs.

http://ocau.com/pix/ipynt
      Last edited by Salad Fingers; 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

im trying to use it in a laptop, no SATA cables to try...

Comment

Same thing here

I got a 120GB phoenix pro from newegg last week too with the same problem. I've tried several cables and power connectors, with various bios settings but it doesn't register. On a couple early attempts, the OS saw a new drive but failed to install the new hardware and the bios always spends 20-30 seconds trying (and failing) to detect the new drive when attached (5 seconds or so without) and now the OS doesn't seem to see it at all. My hard drive and a 9 month old 30GB (non-gskill) SSD drive work fine.

Any special set up for these drives that I might be missing or forgotten since installing my other SSD?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
          Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
          OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
          System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
          System Model GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev 1.0)
          System Type X86-based PC
          Processor x86 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz (Athlon II X4 630 Processor)
          BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F3, 2/8/2010
          SMBIOS Version 2.4
          Last edited by grega; 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM. Reason: Added system specs.

Comment

Try reseting your bios. My Asus has a pin hole button under the laptop for it.

Comment

i remember old asus boards they had pc bus multipler. i wonder f setting turbo miscommuncates bus speed to drive controller? maybe try wthout any verclockng at all?

Comment

well, still no luck, i've RMAed the drive. Hopefully the new one will work, i just read on another thread where a similar thing happened and the RMAed drive worked.

Comment

Working...
                X