Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restored Win7 image to my SSD but computer wont boot from it..any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restored Win7 image to my SSD but computer wont boot from it..any ideas?

Hi all!
    After so many years of computer use (tandy coco , c64 era) this is the first time ever I am trying to restore from an image.
    I formatted the falcon 64gb SSD, updated the firmware and installed Drive Snapshot on Vista 64 so that I could use it to restore the image of Windows 7 I have.
    Well, it went through the process but when I select the drive as main HDD in Bios to boot from it, it just ignores it and continues to the second drive on the list.
    The partition is markes as active as well.
    I do recall the drive used to have a smaller 50MB or so partition when I installed Windows 7 originally which it does not have now.
    I tried a repair start up with the Windows 7 disc but now instead of moving on to the next drive, it just hangs there.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

this: "updated the firmware and installed Drive Snapshot on Vista 64 " doesn't provide enough information to really troubleshoot this problem

Was your image created wth wndows 7 backup? f it wasn't just gnore my 2 posts

wait don't do ths - - - - -use the utlty you used that formatted the drive to erase the parttion and start the re-imaging process with. your description is on par with your bios recognizing no command interpreter available, possible ncompatblty wth wnows restore method
    Last edited by Grense; 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

although i wonder if you should just secure erase the drive nstead just to be safe wth non-trimmed cells in the event a stretch of them overlaps lke some small log that all the sudden has to wat for cell dscharge or does FW auto-perform full drive trim or?

Comment

The Windows 7 installation creates several partitions on a blank drive. Some of your boot folders/files might be on that smaller 50MB partition.

It might be easier to boot up from the old HDD with the SSD as a secondary drive on a free SATA port; wipe out all partitions on the SSD and create a create a single partition using Windows 7; that partition should be properly aligned for best performance & longevity if created with Windows 7; then remove/disconnect the HDD and install Windows 7 from scratch onto the SSD. Windows 7 should not attempt to create multiple partitions since you've already manually created a single partition; install to that partition. If you've left the SSD on the 2nd SATA ports, after the install is done, you can reattach the HDD to the 1st port and have both drives selectable in the BIOS or Boot Menu as boot options in case you want to do maintenance on the SSD as a non-boot drive by booting to the old copy of Win7 on the HDD.

Comment

Working...
        X