Driver, Phoenix Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver, Phoenix Pro

What driver should I be using, exactly, and for which hardware device do I install the driver for?

Hi,

i'm not quiet sure if i understand your question

Do you mean which driver for ahci-mode? Then you should let us know your operating system, and the chipset of your mainboard (intel or ati i suppose).
    Board: GA-Z77-D3H CPU: i5-3470 GPU: MSI GTX 660 FPB RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600 OS: Win 8 Pro 64 Cooling:[/size] SSD: Samsung 470 (128GB) * GSkill Phoenix Pro 120

Comment

Originally posted by Delgado View Post
      Hi,

i'm not quiet sure if i understand your question

Do you mean which driver for ahci-mode? Then you should let us know your operating system, and the chipset of your mainboard (intel or ati i suppose).
      Yep, for ACHI driver. I keep hearing "intel intel intel" but the intel drivers I've seen so far want nothing to do with my non-intel system. And it seems sort of silly to recommend drivers only for users of Intel boards, no? I'd like to be wrong.. I'm only getting 7.4 WEI right now, and I understand the driver is needed to get to 7.7.

TA790GXB A2+ (AMD 790GX chipset)
      Win7 x64
      Last edited by Pikachu; 10-02-2010, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hmmm. Win7 should have the driver onboard, when you change in BIOS from IDE to AHCI. The MS - driver is called msahci.sys. But AMD/ATI has an ahci-driver too, but this one seems to have sometimes problems with TRIM.

Sorry, i have an Intel-Board. You should wait for another advice from the support here. And you will find a lot a themes with google too.

I could give you links, but only in german
        Board: GA-Z77-D3H CPU: i5-3470 GPU: MSI GTX 660 FPB RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600 OS: Win 8 Pro 64 Cooling:[/size] SSD: Samsung 470 (128GB) * GSkill Phoenix Pro 120

Comment

I use the AMD AHCI driver, WEI 7.4
          The MS AHCI driver gave 7.3

The WEI scores are very consistent for drives with TRIM enabled (without trim the scores usually fluctuate to use). eg 7.0 means you're in IDE mode, 7.3 means you're using the MS driver in AHCI mode, below 7.0 I'm pretty sure means you're on SATA I not SATA II, and/or the lack of TRIM has degraded the performance. People knock WEI but those scores have diagnostic value.

Now I came here knowing the difference between AMD and Intel chipsets, and the respective drivers. But I've also come here after seeing some reviews claiming 7.7 on a similar AMD system with "the drivers" installed, whichever the hell he meant.

ATTO overlapped I/O, QD:4, 4 KB: Read 102 MB/s Write: 101 MB/s
          ATTO overlapped I/O, QD:4, 1024 KB: Read 257 MB/s Write: 242 MB/s
          Last edited by Pikachu; 10-02-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

This morning...

This morning my partition table had a heart attack.. Win7, which has unusually worse recovery software than winXP, was unable to repair the issue. However, did reinstall windows into the same partition, it booted normally, and I have access to all of my old data.. I just had to reinstall some things.

Startup error checking revealed no errors.. Which is strange, if the disk had caused this problem, I'd definitely see at least 1 more error. In my experience, I'd have seen 1000+ other errors if this were a disk fault.

I should also mention that initially the computer failed to see the drive. By the time I diagnosed a partition table error, I had already moved the SATA cord to a different mobo port, which resolved the invisible drive issue.

I've also got a picture of the failed boot sequence, which was 1 line of gibberish letters and symbols.

It's a strange combination of events. Anyways, I had "disable disk write cache buffer flushing" set before the fault, I'm pretty sure that could have caused an error of this magnitude.

Comment

Hi!

were did you download your AMD AHCI Driver & if i install it will it replays my Standard AHCI?
              do i need a clean install the AHCI driver & how?
              if i just install it without uninstalling the standard AHCI will it get corrupted?

im pretty newbie when it comes on installing can you give me a guide how to safe install the AMD driver. Thanks

Comment

Why replace? I am not quite sure, if this is still correct, but i found this: amd-forum

Comment

For AMD users, you can get the AHCI driver from the AMD site.

Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
                  http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...d-win7-64.aspx

For me it's the last download on the list.
                  AHCI for Windows 7 27.1 MB 10.9 9/15/2010
                  (In a month a new driver will come out, it might not improve anything, but these numbers will change "10.9 9/15/2010")

The installer verifies the presence of the correct hardware before installing, so if this is the wrong driver for you, no harm no foul. And yes, you can install (and uninstall) the driver at any time.

For future reference, here is the amd website: http://www.amd.com
                  AHCI is part of your motherboard's hardware, so it's a chipset driver.

* The AMD driver has a known issue of not being able to queue beyond 1, which is known to limit SSD performance. However, my tests show the AMD driver is faster than the Microsoft driver. And I doubt that the default microsoft driver can surpass a queue depth of 1 either.

** I'm 95% certain that picking the right chipset details on the list is insigificant, as long as you arrive at the AHCI driver for your operating system. It's an assumption of a unified driver.
                  Last edited by Pikachu; 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

so no need to uninstall the MS driver, what im gonna do is just update it right? thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X