New to SSD (Phoenix Pro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SSD (Phoenix Pro)

I used to be an independent self-employed system builder, so I know my way around hardware and software installation/troubleshooting. SSDs are, however, new to me and I decided to take the plunge by buying one to use as my new Windows 7 drive.

I've just bought a G-Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB drive with the SandForce 1200 controller but haven't installed it yet. I was researching around the Net to arm myself with installation gotchas.

I'm planning on a clean Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installation via SATA-AHCI mode on the SATA-0 port using a temporary dummy user account, then I'll tweak things a bit by moving the Users folder default to a 2nd 500GB data HDD, then create my permanent user accounts (which should be created on the data HDD now) and delete the dummy account. I'll tweak writes by making sure that drive indexing, search indexing, superfetch, prefetch, system restore, hibernation and defrag are disabled. I'll also move temp files and temporary internet file locations to the data HDD.

Once that's all done, an installation of chipset, graphics, sound drivers, etc. will be done.

Now for a few questions, if you don't mind:
    1. Should I add the latest Intel RST drivers during Windows installation or use the Microsoft default AHCI driver? If the latter, should I install the RST drivers after windows is installed? The various SSD tweaking sites I've visited are all over the place with their answers regarding this.
    2. Should I disable the NtfsDisable8dot3nameCreation and NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate entrees?
    3. I'll be using Windows XP mode from time to time; should I have its VHD files on the data HDD?
    4. I have 8GB of ram. Should I disable the pagefile, or just make a static 256MB or so file on the SSD and maybe a secondary pagefile on the data HDD?

I'll probably be having more questions as I delve into the SSD experience, and I may be able to help others in return with other issues. I thank you again for the forum and for the opportunity to absorb some practical knowledge.

hi rfs12307,
    Thanks for choosing Phoenix Pro.
    1. You could use the latest Intel RST driver for higher performance.
    2. Someone says Disable the registries could increase performance, but i haven't tried that.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007/en-us/ One of them doesn't apply to windows 7
    3. We don't ever use the VHD function. We would test the difference of performance later.
    4.I think the 8GB ram is great enough that pagefile would not be necessary. You could disable it.

Comment

Working...
    X