Need Step by step instructions for a migration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Step by step instructions for a migration

I'm considering purchasing a G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have Notebook computer with Windows 7 64Bit operating system. I Currently have a 320gb drive which only has around 50gb used. Of course no room for other drive.

I'd sure appreciate a step by step instructions to migrate this drive over to ssd.

I've heard that some have been succesful with a Windows 7 system image and a recovery disk. But I'm not sure if this is the best way to go.

I'm willing to buy software etc to do this right.

What I haven't seen in this forum is step by step instructions to installing this drive.

Could you describe your partition architecture or distribution?
    Do you have any desktop PC else?
    We could give you further help depend on your environment.

Comment

My architecture is as following;
      I have a Toshiba m11-s3440
      http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768664

Running a Sata II 7500 gb 350gb drive
      Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit operating system
      My computer has a Sata port external and USB 2.0 slots

I do have a desktop PC if that is necessary for the process. I also have Acronis I believe it's 9 or 10 but not installed on this computer.

When I do a "Create system image" from backup(Windows 7 utility)it shows up as

C drive
      System

than as separate System

So it appears that there are two items to do a system image of

Is there anything you'd like me to do to get more information?

Comment

Looks like at techie isn't getting back to me.
        So I believe I found my route to do the migration.

1. Bought a USB External Hard Disk
        Thermaltake BlacX N0028USU External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5" & 3.5" USB 2.0
        This unit looks awsome no pesky cases to mess with just insert drive and off and running no risk of blowing out the power supply as it comes with PS
        2. Bought Copy of Hard Disk Manager 2010 Suite
        Will do the following in this order

1. Resize the partition in my hard drive to 120gb
        2. Copy the partition labeled System to the new hard drive
        3. Copy the resized partition with Win7 to the Hard Drive
        4. Align the drive with 4k as recommended. Paragon comes with this feature.
        5. Install in my machine. Make sure bios is set to AHCI Mode.
        6. boot into windows 7 in safe mode and
        Than I will do the following cheats
        Please advise if you don't approve of any of them or if there are any I'm missing

SSD Cheat Sheet Ver. 1.2:

Enable Wiper/Trim for NVIDIA Nforce Boards: Go to \My Computer\\Properties\\Device Manager\\IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers\\NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller\ go ahead and Update Driver Software. Then click on ?Browse My Computer for Driver Software?, Choose ?Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on My Computer? and pick 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' and hit ok.

Hibernation disable: Start new search then type and then hit regedit.exe in the search results list. At the command prompt, type ?powercfg.exe -h off?, and then press enter, then type exit and enter.

Write-cache enabled: Right click on the SSD Properties in device manager, go to policies and enable ?Write Caching on The Disk?. There is no need for the quick removal option as the SSD will never be removed from the computer checked and enable ?Advanced Performance?.

Defrag disabled: Right click on the SSD drive \Properties\\Tools\\Defragment\ and un-check ?Schedule Defragment This Drive?.

Boot Defrag disable: Start add search entry under Run then type and then hit regedit.exe. Go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\ SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Dfrg\\BootOptimizeFunction\\E nable\ modify then type N and click OK.

System Restore disabled: Right click \My Computer\\Properties\\Advanced System Settings\\System Protection Tab\ and un-check C drive and follow on screen instructions.

Search Indexing disabled: \Start\\Control Panel\\Administrative Tools\\Services\ then scroll down to ?Windows Search? and right click\ properties and change startup type to disabled.

Drive Indexing disabled: For both ?SSD and RAM Drives? My Computer then right-click on the SSD drive properties and un-check ?Drive Indexing?. Follow the small wizard guide and wait for it to finish.

Superfetch disabled: Start new search entry under Run, then type and then hit regedit.exe. Go to \Hkey_local_machine\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Co ntrol\\Session Manager\\Memory Management\\PrefetchParameters then right click EnableSuperfetch. Hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK, Also this can be done through \Start\\Control Panel\\Administrative Tools\\Services, then scroll down to superfetch and make sure it?s "disabled" on startup.

Prefetch disabled: Start new search entry under Run, then type and then hit regedit.exe. Go to Hkey_local_machine\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Con trol\\Session Manager\\Memory Management\\PrefetchParameters then right click Enableprefetcher then hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK.

Pagefile disabled: Right click \My Computer\\Properties\\Advanced System Settings\\Advanced Tab\\Performance\\Settings\\Advanced Tab\\Virtual Memory\ and then hit change, un-check "Automatically Manage Paging File for all Drives" then check "No Paging File" and hit set.

Move the ?Temp and Tmp? files: Go to \My Computer\\Properties\\Advanced\\Environment Variables\, then highlight the "temp or tmp" depending on which one you?re working on, pick the variable, click edit, and Change the path to another hard drive if they are located on the Solid State with the ?Variable Value Field?.

PIO Mode: Make sure the SSD is not running in PIO mode. To verify that go into the Device Manager, open IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers and double-click all Primary and Secondary IDE Channels. Verify that there are no signs of PIO Mode under the Current Transfer Mode entry in Advanced Settings. It should list Ultra DMA Mode 5 by default on there.?

Comment

Originally posted by tomzgreat View Post
          Boot Defrag disable: Start add search entry under Run then type and then hit regedit.exe. Go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\ SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Dfrg\\BootOptimizeFunction\\E nable\ modify then type N and click OK.
          I've done all of the tweaks you've listed, and my Phoenix Pro 60GB drive is working GREAT...but the registry key for the above doesn't exist in my clean Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installation; there's no Dfrg tree or subkeys. I did notice, however, that Windows 7 automatically disabled a scheduled defrag on the SSD, but my other HDDs are scheduled for defrag weekly.

Comment

Working...
          X