Is my drive DOA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my drive DOA?

I ordered the new 120 gig Phoenix Pro from Newegg. I installed the drive in my MacBook Pro, but I could not even get to the Apple logo with the drive. It would not even boot off the disc with the SSD installed.
    I then tried the SSD in a Dell desktop. In the bios it recognized a sandforce controller, but again I could not go any further. It would not even boot off the Windows 7 install disc.
    I then tried it in a Dell laptop. It would boot off of the install disc, but when I got to the point where I select which drive to install to, it said no drives were recognized. I could not even format the SSD, nor did it even show up. Going into the bios, it said it detected a sandforce controller installed.

Keeping all this in mind, is the SSD DOA?

I can not comment on Mac Book Pro as I'm not familiar with MAC products.But what I heard you can't just go a head and add any product to a MAC. But how old is ur DELL desktop ? did u try updating your BIOS ? having your desktop configurations could be more help.. give us more details
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    AMD Phenom II 955
    Noctua NH-C12P Cooling
    8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24 1T)
    2 x 1GB ATI HD5770 Crossfire setup
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU (60A Max)
    G.Skill PHOENIX FM-25S2S-120GBP1
    2x320GB SATAII Seagate HDD RAID 0 (640GB)
    1TB SATAII Seagate HDD
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
    Pioneer DVR-215/BK
    Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower case
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX DTS 96/24
    24" BENQ FP241W WUXGA

Comment

Other reviewers have had success on a Mac. The dell was purchased in December 2009 from BestBuy. The Laptop was purchased September 2009 from Best Buy. Both have dual core intel processors, 2 gigs of RAM, and I believe intel integrated graphics. Nothing is wrong with any of the computers. I tried 2 other hard drives I had lying around on all three computers and they worked just fine. The only thing it could be is that the SSD is DOA, or maybe there is something I'm supposed to do beforehand to make it work.
      The HDD's are from western digital and samsung.

Comment

Sovelin,
        Could you post the model name recognized from the dell BIOS, If it is not recognized as "FM-25S2S-120GBP2", I think it has firmware loss. Please ask a replacement from newegg.

Comment

I believe all it said in the bios was sandforce controller. Either way, it did not show that model number anywhere. Unfortunately, I'm only in the US a few days, and tomorrow I leave my home to another state, and from there out of the US later this week. I ordered the drive again and am requesting a refund on this one. The price went up by $10, but I'm really out of options since I'm leaving so soon. I just hope that the second drive isn't DOA because I won't be back in the US for another 4 months.

What exactly does firmware loss mean?

Comment

The firmware would drive the controller to controll the NAND flash, so if the firmware lost, it like a computer without operating system that couldn't work anymore.

Comment

Is it possible to fix? Or must it be RMA'd? How does the firmware become lost? It just seems like an odd thing to happen. Is it common on these SSD's? Is it possible that after a week or so of use my new SSD will have this issue during use?

Comment

If it really lost firmware, you have to RMA it.
                The case you got is hard to happen, the chance may be 1/100000.
                Before ship to distributor, we have bunches of test on our product.
                It might caused by the unknow factor of the trasportation.@@
                Don't worry about the robust SSD.

Comment

Working...
                X