Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [G Skill Falcon II] Dell HDD encryption

Hi there,

is it possible to enable the HDD enrcytion in the bios of dell laptop series? I'm currently running a Dell Latitude E6500. When I try to set a password for my HDD, an error occurs that the old password is incorrect (there is definitly no password on the HDD).

Best regards,
    curmudgeon

hi curmudgeon,
    I don't have Dell laptop to test that, but i'll try that function on my own acer laptop and reply you the result.

Comment

I test Falcon II 128GB firmware:1819 and Falcon 64GB firmware:1916 on my Acer 4820TG laptop.
      In BIOS security option, i could set password on both SSD. and it would work after save the setting and power off.
      When i boot my laptop, it would request me to enter the password and i could continue the boot with correct password.
      Which firmware version is your SSD?
      You may try to install your previous HDD back and remove its password from BIOS.
      After clean the old password then replace by your SSD for setting password again.
      Last edited by vaca; 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Hi vaca,

at first: thanks for your help

Just to go sure I didn't desribe my problem wrong: It's not a classic Bios password, it's a Password for the HDD.

I have the latest Firmware, the 1916 one.

The previos HDD had no password set, I just reinstalled the old HDD to test if the HDD encryption is generally working. With the old HDD, no problem, with the Falcon II 128GB, it says "old password not set" but if I try to set a new one, it says "old password incorrect". But I definitly can't enter the old password, because there is none.

Comment

So it looks the Dell laptop you own has security incompatible issue with Falcon SSD.
          You could try to update your BIOS, there is chance to solve this issue.
          I'll report this Dell laptop model to indilinx to help resolve this issue and you can also ask dell to help you, thus the problem could be solve more faster.

Comment

Working...
          X