AHCI and TRIM on PHOENIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHCI and TRIM on PHOENIX

Hi guys. Just bought a G.Skill Phoenix 120GB Drive and first I installed on IDE mode. After realizing wasn't getting enough performance on IDE mode I switched to AHCI mode as many people says it boost the performance. Then started to getting close to as it says on G.Skill product page but when it's with the AMD AHCI driver also windows boots much quicker. Then I saw on some website that TRIM command won't work with AMD AHCI driver & it's better to switch to Microsoft generic driver. Then I un-installed the AMD AHCI from Catalyst Control Center and now running on generic Microsoft driver came with the Windows 7. But the performence isn't that good as it as on AMD AHCI driver. What should I do ? loose the TRIM by installing AMD driver or keep on generic driver ?

Also what is the different between PHOENIX Pro & PHOENIX versions ? any performance differences ?

My motherboard has both JMicron & AMD chipset SATA controllers . SSD plugged in to AMD one

here is the results with MS Generic driver as you can see writing speed isn't that good as it says on G.Skill page http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=285

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kamalmawa; 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM.
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    AMD Phenom II 955
    Noctua NH-C12P Cooling
    8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24 1T)
    2 x 1GB ATI HD5770 Crossfire setup
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU (60A Max)
    G.Skill PHOENIX FM-25S2S-120GBP1
    2x320GB SATAII Seagate HDD RAID 0 (640GB)
    1TB SATAII Seagate HDD
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
    Pioneer DVR-215/BK
    Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower case
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX DTS 96/24
    24" BENQ FP241W WUXGA

Hi kamalmawa,
    With TRIM work you could prevent the performance slowdown of ongoing usage and i think that you would not feel the slower performance in the real life with windows generic AHCI driver compared to AMD AHCI driver. So Before AMD driver support TRIM command, the better choice is use Microsoft generic driver.
    Compare to Phoenix, Phoenix Pro has higher 4KB random write IOPS but you may not aware the difference in your application. Usually some server application has such condition could reveal the advantage.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by vaca View Post
      Compare to Phoenix, Phoenix Pro has higher 4KB random write IOPS but you may not aware the difference in your application. Usually some server application has such condition could reveal the advantage.
      Is that mean desktop users won't see much different between those two ?
      Thank you very much for your opinion on this. Needed to hear this from someone who actually have more experience with SSDs Hope AMD releases proper driver soon. Till then I'm gonna stick to the MS driver as you said..
      MSI 790FX-GD70
      AMD Phenom II 955
      Noctua NH-C12P Cooling
      8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24 1T)
      2 x 1GB ATI HD5770 Crossfire setup
      750W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU (60A Max)
      G.Skill PHOENIX FM-25S2S-120GBP1
      2x320GB SATAII Seagate HDD RAID 0 (640GB)
      1TB SATAII Seagate HDD
      LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
      Pioneer DVR-215/BK
      Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower case
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX DTS 96/24
      24" BENQ FP241W WUXGA

Comment

Working...
      X