Phoenix Pro Firmware 2.1 vs 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro Firmware 2.1 vs 2.0

I had just received the FM-25S2S-120GBP2 today. It was shipped with the firmware ver. 2.1.
    The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 REV 1.3 BIOS 8D.
    With the 2.1 firmware and the ICH9R set to RAID I had the S.M.A.R.T. error. Also, the drive was only listed in the Intel RAID list of drives but not in the Advanced Options menu of the BIOS as a drive anywhere. So it could not be set as the boot device.
    Connecting it to the "GSATA", Jmicron, controller solved the problem of not being able to use the drive, but at a much reduced rate of performance. WEI 6.8
    Once I had the OS up and running on the Phoenix, I downloaded the 2.0 firmware and tried to update the firmware. Now the drive could not be found in the update software. It did not matter if the GSATA controller was set to RAID or AHCI.
    Luckily I had made an image of my previous RAID 0 setup and loaded it to a separate, single drive on the ICH9R controller with the controller set to AHCI and Native set to Disabled.
    Now with both drives on the ICH9R, and booting fron the single HDD, the update software could see the drive and I then changed the firmware to the 2.0 version.
    After the older 2.0 version was loaded I could once again set the ICH9R to RAID and see both the Phoenix, without the S.M.A.R.T. error, and my RAID 5 data array.
    The Phoenix was also listed in the Hard Drive selection as a boot device and I was back into Windows 7 with a WEI of 7.6

Phewwwww!

I hope that the shipments of this drive with the 2.1 firmware are stopped, because, I was lucky to have extra drives and a second SATA controller on-board or I would of had to RMA the drive.

Uwanna?

Thanks for your information and advice.
    We will test what you encountered and if needed we will change the firmware version.
    Because the next version firmware will release soon, if we recieve it and test it ok then we will change firmware to the newer version.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Vaca.
      I did forget to mention that I am not using the Windows 7 SATA controller drivers. I am using the Intel RST 9.6. That may have been part of the problem with the drive not being seen in Windows or the firmware update software when I booted from the single HDD and both drives attached to the ICH9R and having it set to AHCI with Native Enabled or RAID.

Uwanna?
      Last edited by Uwanna; 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X