Phoenix 60gb Raid 0 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix 60gb Raid 0 Performance

Im having a problem with my phoenix ssd, raid 0 performance seem to be lesser than its single drive counterpart. And viewing benchmark of other raid 0 ssd seem to be way better than the performance im currently seeing through HD Tune benchmark.

Im not particularly sure what im doing wrong, or if its because of my motherboard sata controller, or my partition alignment.

System stat
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 motherboard
    AMD Phenom II 1090T cpu
    2 x G.Skill Phoenix 60gb ssd
    (Raid 0, 128kb Stripe) connected to the southbridge AMD SB850 controller

Raid 0 - Read Random Access

Single Phoenix 60gb - Read Random Access on Gskill site

Raid 0 - Read Benchmark - 64kb Block size

Single Phoenix 60gb - Read Benchmark (From G.skill site, 64kb block size i think)

As you can see the read performance of Raid 0 is fluctuating and not as smooth as its single drive counterpart. In some cases the read min, and burst rate is much slower also. So yeh what am i doing wrong? Both drive are on 2.1 firmware, all driver are updated to latest version. Bios version is also the latest. Partition alignment is 1024kb
    Last edited by codester; 08-15-2010, 09:51 PM.

More read benchmark

Raid 0 - Read Benchmark - 128kb Block size

Raid 0 - Read Benchmark - 512kb Block size

Raid 0 - Read Benchmark - 1mb Block size

Comment

Dear codester,
      I will recommend you to secure erase your SSDs by single mode to recover their performance.
      Then you can rebuild your RAID and test again to see the performance.
      By the way, the performance shown on our website is all test with new status to show users the best performance the SSD could be. But the value could be vary under different platform and settings.

Comment

Upon buying both Phoenix ssd. I put them both on raid 0, installed windows 7 64-bit, and others hardware drivers, i then ran HD tune to benchmark, and performance wasnt what i was expecting.

I then start over by, upgrading the firmware for both drive to 2.1 and secure erase the 2 drive, and update my bios version also, hoping it was the firmware that was the problem, i repeat the process of creating the raid 0 with 128kb stripe, and 1024kb partition alignment.

Once Windows 7 was set up again, with all necessary hardware driver installed. I ran the benchmark again. These benchmark screenshot are the one i posted above, so i dont think its an issue with the drive performance being degraded due to non Trim through raid 0, and performance degradation due to long term usage of writing and deleting. First time was like fresh two drive straight from the computer shop, second time was right after doing a secure delete. All windows temporary files are on another drive also not on the raid partition. I also did all the tweak for ssd for windows 7 before running the benchmark.

Anyone else who have a raid 0 of two phoenix drive can post their benchmark result so i can compare? would be good if you have similar hardware

Comment

hi codester,

The below image is the results i test with two motherboard by building RAID-0(128KB stick size) with two 60GB Phoenix SSD:

MSI 890FXA-GD70

ASUS P6X58D Premium

I boot the OS from another non-RAID HDD and test the RAID-0 SSD drive as a blank drive.

You can see the difference between defferent chipsets.

Comment

I have the same problem

I'm running a similar configuration on i7 2.8 GHz system. My performance is the same as Codester. I'm not sure if I received a defective SSD. I have the RAID built on Marvell SATA III Controller. Any thoughts on what is causing the problem?

Do I need to disable certain functions in Windows 7 since the OS can't see the drives as SSD?

Thanks.
            David

Comment

thanks vaca, it must be the amd 890fx platform then

Comment

Working...
              X