Trying to format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to format

Well i bit the bullet and bought 2 of the phoenix pro's, went to format them with the hdderase step by step, but kelp getting stuck on step #7, finally after reading about the nvdia problem, i gave up and installed windows 7, drivers, and updated, i did a bench test and my results were, write was 381661 and my read was same 381661, this is on the ATTO benchmark. My question is, are my benchmarks ok, and is there a way to format these hard drives back to all zero's, back to like new, is windows delete and format good enough, or is there another program out there i can use, my next bench, write was 387166 and read was 389036.
    Thanks for your time

Nobbe from

hdderase does not FORMAT the drive. It CLEANS it, i.e. all blocks are released. That's very different from using the o/s to reformat.

Even if you delete partitions, recreate them, and reformat via the o/s, it definitely won't release the physical addresses. Logical is not the same as physical. O/S formatting is not at all the same thing as what the secure erase does. What the o/s shows you, is NOT what is going on at the physical drive level.

FYI, full formatting (not quick formatting) writes 0's. A clean SSD is all 1's (not 0's). But again, these are two very different things.

If you're having trouble w/ hdderase, try hdparm. There's a linux and a windows version.

Comment

Working...
    X