Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Cell Wearing?

Hello,
    i am concerned about my SSD's life span. Cell Wearing occurs a lot faster than it should, after all i know.

(Note: Powered on seem to count only the 4 times when i made my System totally powerless to reset my Bios)
    As you can see in the Pictures, 33 hrs, 13 GiB of data written, 14 levels of cell wearing.

I bought the SSD about 1 year ago, it had FW 1471. About 3 weeks ago, i decided to reinstall my OS, and update the FW at the same time. Unfortunately, i 'accidently' used the clean function and thus lost all statistics before that date.
    I randomly found this software to display the SSD status, and out of curiosity kept looking at it almost daily. I pretty soon noticed a cell wearing of ~10 Cycles a day.
    If i understand what i read right, then i should have to write and delete as much data as i have free space remaining, to cause 1 level of cell wearing. Which would mean 700 GiB of data, as i got about 50 GiB used and 70 GiB free space on the SSD.

After i installed Windows7 i did the following things to improve SSD performance:
    -disabled hibernation
    -disabled defrag
    -disabled indexing
    -disabled prefetch
    -disabled superfetch

If it matters, im running the drive in AHCI mode. Greatly improves performance, Windows will start up in about half the time.
    I also activated the following setting in power options: turn off hard drives after 1 minute. I only use my 'noisy' generic drives for storage, they only spin on when i access them for data, saves power and life time.
    After i noticed this, i also temporarily disabled the pagefile. Tho i does not seem to cause any wrongs.

I checked the Windows Ressource Monitor, and Diskmon, cause i notice constantly ongoing writeaction (my computer HDD activity LED kept flashing shortly, usually not long enough to read full glowing power, but it was there).
    There were things that caused ongoing disk activity:
    -my antivirus (Avira personal) was reading 48 byte blocks every second while the computer was idle, tho no write action. I disabled it anyways for another reason.
    -the process 'System' (tho i couldnt find out which services cause this) is always causing a certain write action(varying, can be as low as a few as 1-2kb/s on average (20-30 kb every soandso seconds) to 100 kb/s for short durations), but never reads. Its more than any of the other programs ever did, tho i didnt notice it having any bad impact on the cell wearing. Cant be the pagefile access tho, its disabled.
    -Skype. I dont know what the hell is wrong with it, but im gonna opena post on their forums about that. When its running idle, its causing a write action of 1-2 kb/s. I dunno what it has to write (no reads tho!) all the time when its idle, but adding that up to 24 hrs its about 150 MiB of data.. out of nothing?

Turning all 'active' programs off, firefox, msn (tho both dont seem to cause much action, since they only need to cache and log stuff if you use them) and skype (everything left running are drivers and driversuits and services), leaving the computer idle overnight, there will be no visible difference in the cell wearing count.
    If i leave for example Skype alone idle overnight (i have only 1 contact in my list there), the next morning i can see a difference of 5 cycles cell wearing. It cant have written much data, tho it does cause some constant action. Also, logging on Skype to talk for a few hours can cause a few cycles of cell wearing.
    On the other hand, copying and deleting 10 GiB of music and video files does not cause any visible cell wearing.

Im sorry for the (very) long post, but i tried to provide as much data as i could recall. I cant sort which of it unnecessary and which might give hints.

Heres my System configuration while were already at it:
    AMD Phenom 2 x2 550/MSI 790FX-GD70/G.Skill Falcon 128 GB/80 and 250 GB generic 7200 upm samsung HDDs/Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Regards, Himmelslicht
    Last edited by Himmelslicht; 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM.

Update:

Its been 5 days now, nobody here who can answer me on the official forum? Kinda disappointing

Im really concerned about this, it does not seem normal to me.

Comment

dear Himmelslicht,
      sorry for replying so late.
      because i can't see the pictures you mentioned so could you mail them to techsupport@gskill.com
      i'll reply you ASAP.
      thanks.

Comment

Second that.

I am also very worried about this situation.
        Right now (roughly after 15 months of normal use) my falcon 128GB has read 700 GB, written 931 GB and cell-wear 322 cycles.

Do we expect the drive to fail around ~1000 cycles?

Comment

Working...
        X