Falcon 64GB crash.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 64GB crash.....

I have installed my new Falcon 64GB SATA drive in the Lenovo S10-3. When setting harddisk password in BIOS (latest S10-3 BIOS), it blocks the drive and will not boot, will not recognise the harddisk password set in BIOS, and it is impossible to clear the harddisk password in BIOS. I am running firmware 1916 on the Falcon, and I need to re-flash the drive on another PC in order to set the drive back to its original state, for then to re-install Windows 7, etc.... When installed in another machine, cannot format the drive, get an I/O error, need to re-flash with firmware 1916.

Any way it would be possible to secure the Falcon with a harddisk password? If not, how do I protect the data (OS on a C partition and data on the D partition) so the data is inaccessible should I lose the Lenovo. I mean, even though the thief could not enter BIOS, power-on password and Windows logon password, could not s/he not just install the drive in another PC, and read the data from there?

Any ideas? Will BitLocker in Windows 7 Ultimate work? Any other encryption software or harddisk password software out there which will work OK?

Thanx.

Using Bitlocker will probably solve the issue

In the BIOS of the Lenovo S10-3 I can exclude everything but the SSD to be able to boot. So, a) setting a admin password to access the BIOS, b) exclude all but the SSD to boot, c) setting password to access Windows at logon, and d) encrypt the D partition (where the data is) using Windows 7's Bitlocker feature should pretty much secure the system.

From: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...rives-and.aspx

"Is Bitlocker?s encryption process optimized to work on SSDs?

Yes, on NTFS. When Bitlocker is first configured on a partition, the entire partition is read, encrypted and written back out. As this is done, the NTFS file system will issue Trim commands to help the SSD optimize its behavior.

We do encourage users concerned about their data privacy and protection to enable Bitlocker on their drives, including SSDs."

Comments from anyone?

Comment

The Bitlocker seems to be what you are looking for. With the latest firmware, it should work very nicely.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X