G.Skill 64GB SSD Falcon vs Falcon II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill 64GB SSD Falcon vs Falcon II

I am thinking to get one of the G.Skill 64GB SSD recently. However, the thing is, I would like to come out with a couple of questions before I make my decision.

Ok, the first thing that I would like to know is what are the differences between Falcon SSD and Falcon II SSD in term of performance?Also, I would like to know the differences between idinlinx barefoot controller and idinlinx Eco controller?

The next question is , would the motherboard chipset affect the SSD performance? If yes, would that be significant or? The thing is because I am currently having a nvidia chipset motherboard which is nvidia nforce 650i, would that be alright to achieve the full performance?

Also, would the wiper utility bring some negative effects on the SSD performance for the long run? I mean would the utility cut down the lifespan of SSD or any other effects?

Lastly, do I have to change the IDE mode to AHCI mode or Raid mode if I am just using a single SSD drive?

As a Gskill Falcon II 128 gb user i can just say to you "DON'T BUY GSKILL PRODUCTS" go and buy any other brands products. Because this company is have very bad support and Falcon II ssd series have a problems.

check this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKV0AQea0Lg

Comment

Performance difference is fairly similar, but overall test results show the Falcon II to be slightly trailing, but more stable in the long run. The updated ECO controller also has newer NAND chips, different firmware, so this creates a more stable SSD although a slight loss in peak performance.

Motherboard SB can affect performance. Many people overvolt this slightly to provide max performance and stability. I have not tested specifically on the 650i, so I can't tell you specific results.

The wiper utility cleans the drive to new state, so there are no long term effects that are directly caused by running it.

You should run the SSD in AHCI, but must be set as IDE when updating firmware.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

but the thing is my motherboard does not have AHCI mode~ actually my motherboard is nvidia 650i chipset~

Comment

Then you can run it as IDE, but not at optimum performance.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

the other thing regarding the Falcon series SSD is about the memory.

May I know what sort of memory chip has been used in Gskill Falcon SSD? Also, who is the manufacturer of the memory?

Comment

As you can see, 64MB cache. Some HDD software report as 32MB because the software is not specifically for SSD.

Samsung K9HCG08UIM

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X