Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition disaligned after Firmware 1916 update

Hi

I have a Falcon II SSD 64GB on which I run Win 7 32-bit.

Yesterday I upgraded my firmware to 1916 and then restored the image of the partition I had taken, however now it seems to be disaligned. I haven't found out how to attach images to this post, AS SSD gives me the message "31 K - BAD" and checking the partition starting offset I obtain 32,256 bytes

I have been reading around, and the info is a bit above my head - however I seem to understand that it is not possible to re-align the partition without having to restore again the image.

So a few questions:

1. is my understanding above correct? (I hope not). If I am wrong, can somebody point out the correct procedure to follow the re-align the partition without having to restore again the image, please.

in case nothing can be done about 1. then

2. how should I proceed to realign the partition? The clearest info I have found so far is here but maybe someone has a better suggestion.

Then I guess I can simply reinstall my image, correct? Or do I need to do something in addition (eg, reinstall the firmware first, wipe the partition ...)

thanks for your help!
    Last edited by newbino; 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM. Reason: change of title

If you do not have much files on the drive, simply send it in and we will send you one with the latest firmware.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      If you do not have much files on the drive, simply send it in and we will send you one with the latest firmware.
      Thanks for the offer, however it does not seem to make sense to me - it's not as if the SSD is broken and the hassle (shipping costs + waiting time) don't seem worth the while, after all I can just realign the partition and reinstall the image.

The question is, is this going to affect the drive performance?

Any other points of view?

Comment

It does have a big effect on performance. But there is a way to fix it.

Use the G parted boot CD or USB disk.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/#

And this guide

http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index....sing-Data.html

Comment

Thanks monstermunch!

Have to say, I appreciated GSKILL TECH prompt response but found it rather ineffectual

Comment

I had the same problem on my SSD (AS SSD was saying "BAD") when I realigned the partitions on the drive I got something like 3x performance in random read/write benchmarks. The sequential performance didn't really change.

I was using acronis true image to clone the drive onto my new SSD, but for some reason it doesn't align partitions properly so I had to do this after the clone was finished. Only alternative is reinstall windows, which I didn't want to do.

Comment

Paragon Alignment Tool - free download until June 30

The Paragon Alignment Tool (PAT) is a new program that corrects misalignments of partitions effectively increasing the performance of the hard drives
              download link (needs registration)

Comment

Working...
              X