Firmware 1916 benchmarks/impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware 1916 benchmarks/impressions

flashed my SSD from 1571 to 1916 a few hours ago and ran some benchmarks...I noticed a 6-8% performance reduction but that is to be expected with all TRIM enabled firmware...there will be a slight performance hit...but in the long run it is worth it for the automatic TRIM and GC features...it's also much better then the performance hit with FW 1819

my Falcon 1 SSD is still reaching it's rated Read speeds...here are my benchmarks with FW 1916...

Anyone got a Falcon II to compare firmwares?

Comment

OK, not so good news this morning...to test if TRIM was working I deleted some files last night and logged off for 4 hours...when I logged back in and ran the benchmark my performance had dropped another 9%

doesn't look like TRIM is doing its job...I'm going to manually run Wiper and see if that helps

Comment

thanks for the TIP. It look like being a useless firmware . IMO.

So now you're back to where you were with the firmware 1819 without knowing what the new firmware did to your SSD. Running Wiper won't help for speed as it never did neither with the older firmware.

Comment

well wiper does not work in 1819 anyways hence why i am running 1571. it's kinda thank for nothing

Comment

I ran Wiper and the scores still stayed the same...I'm going to use 1916 for 2 weeks or so and see if things improve with TRIM...if not I'm going to go back to FW 1571 which worked perfectly for me...my benchmark numbers were really high and anytime it got slow I just ran Wiper to restore full performance

I thought 1916 was supposed to be an excellent firmware...other users reported 1571 levels of performance along with the automated TRIM function and GC working

when's the next firmware coming out?

Comment

LOL..
              well, so finally, overall your SSD is now slower than with 1571 , if it end up being like this with my 64 gig, since it already write at 75-80 ONLY I'm gonna end up with nothing... Your first benchmark is quite good though, if you don't run in raid. Quite a big difference between a 64 gig ( half full) and a 256 GB.. twice as fast, which frankly is a bit hard to understand unless your SSD got plenty of free space and was never written yet on much of his memory. GSkill 64 GB just plain suck.

We'll see what others have to say after a few days of usage.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                LOL..
                well, so finally, overall your SSD is now slower than with 1571 , if it end up being like this with my 64 gig, since it already write at 75-80 ONLY I'm gonna end up with nothing... Your first benchmark is quite good though, if you don't run in raid. Quite a big difference between a 64 gig ( half full) and a 256 GB.. twice as fast, which frankly is a bit hard to understand unless your SSD got plenty of free space and was never written yet on much of his memory. GSkill 64 GB just plain suck.
                your Falcon 64GB only gets a Write score of 75-80MB/s with firmware 1571?...that's really slow for an SSD...even my older Western Digital 640GB mechanical hard drive got a Write score of 90.10 MB/s...here is my benchmark scores for my Western Digital non-SSD...

Last edited by Titus; 03-06-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

my scores went up today so it looks like TRIM might actually be working...will benchmark later on in the week to see how things look

Comment

Originally posted by Titus View Post
                    my scores went up today so it looks like TRIM might actually be working...will benchmark later on in the week to see how things look

I benched my Raid0 a couple of hours after updating to 1916 and saved the scores, then I installed a bunch of programs and then deleted them and benched again to find the benchmark quite a bit lower then the previous one. So I logged off over night and did another benchmark this morning which was higher then the previous two so I am thinking GC is working in Raid0. Will keep a eye on it the next while and see what happens. It is a little bit lower bench then with 1571 but I can live with it.

Comment

no Titus, when i first got my 64gb SSD with 1571 FW I had 110 write 200 read. After the 1819 upgrade it went down to 80 write . here are my latest crystal BM ( surprising, usually i get 74 at writing) :
                      Sequential Read : 174.240 MB/s
                      Sequential Write : 87.284 MB/s
                      Random Read 512KB : 143.807 MB/s
                      Random Write 512KB : 82.012 MB/s
                      Random Read 4KB : 29.304 MB/s
                      Random Write 4KB : 6.809 MB/s

My new Western Digital Black 1TB HDD has a faster Write than the SSD.

IMO , it plain suck.. what **** me off the most is to have paid 400$ with false promises as to the speed of writing and reading. We were simply taken for a ride and we've paid a lot for it... if i would of known the real benchmark value I would of NOT bought a GSkill , they lied, they suck big time on support.. and I hope they go bankrupt. I certainly won't spend 6 hours to do a frikkin FW ugrade..

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyj View Post
                        I benched my Raid0 a couple of hours after updating to 1916 and saved the scores, then I installed a bunch of programs and then deleted them and benched again to find the benchmark quite a bit lower then the previous one. So I logged off over night and did another benchmark this morning which was higher then the previous two so I am thinking GC is working in Raid0. Will keep a eye on it the next while and see what happens. It is a little bit lower bench then with 1571 but I can live with it.
                        same thing happened with my testing...it's weird because after I deleted a bunch of large files and logged off for a few hours the scores were lower then before...but the next day when I benchmarked without logging off (I just left my system idle with a screen saver activated) my scores went up by 8%...so I have no idea how TRIM works but I'm just glad it's working

I havn't gotten my scores all the way back up to what they were with 1571 but like you said I don't mind a 10% hit as long as I know TRIM (and GC for RAID/non Windows 7 users) is working

Comment

today my benchmark scores went back down again...they way it's going it looks like I'm going to switch back to 1571...going from a Read speed of 245 MB/s with FW 1571 down to 210 MB/s with FW 1916 is a big drop...if I had a RAID setup I would probably keep 1916 for the GC but since I'm using a single SSD I want my full speed back

I don't mind running Wiper manually since it only takes a few seconds...I'll give it another week or so before deciding but I don't like these big performance spikes every time I benchmark

Comment

Curious, other than benchmarking, what other apps do you normally run that require 245MB/sec read speeds? Have you experienced a noticeable drop in performance for every-day tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by rkelleyrtp View Post
                              Curious, other than benchmarking, what other apps do you normally run that require 245MB/sec read speeds? Have you experienced a noticeable drop in performance for every-day tasks?
                              good point...I havn't noticed any performance drops in every-day tasks and things seem smoother and faster then ever...but since I was getting those higher scores with the earlier firmware there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep it at that level...yes 210 MB/s is still very fast and much faster then any mechanical drive but since I'm not using a RAID setup I can afford to go back to 1571 and get the higher speeds...if I needed the GC then I would keep 1916 but since I don't I prefer to keep my numbers as high as possible

I really wish I could determine how TRIM gets activated...there doesn't seem to be any set pattern to it with FW 1916 which makes it difficult to know when to expect my performance to go back to normal levels

Comment

Working...
                              X