The update process is not user friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The update process is not user friendly

So another update using the same process!

You cannot use a caddy from any other machine from XP to Windows 7 to do an update!

The only way is to have a machine with more than 1 drive (most laptops fail) and that machine must or can be altered to IDE before any update can work, this means removing, and re-installing drives and systems!

Surely after all this time G.Skill could have made the process more workable, This will be the last G.Skill product I will buy or recommend to anybody.

David

I know this may not help - but I use Thermaltake BLACX SATA HDD USB Docking station with my Toshiba Satellite laptop (running Windows 7) to upgrade the firmware on my Falcon 128GB SSD

1 - Backup all important files (stuff I want to transfer to new Win7 Install, to external USB HDD)
    2 - Remove SSD from desktop computer
    3 - Download Firmware Upgrade to Laptop
    4 - Attach USB cradle to Laptop
    5 - Put upgrade jumper on SSD
    6 - Insert SSD into cradle, turn it on and let it install drivers
    7 - Run firmware upgrade software - select my falcon from dropdown menu
    8 - wait patiently......................................... ............................
    9 - When done upgrading firmware, remove SSD, remove upgrade jumper, and reinstall it into desktop computer
    10 - Reinstall Windows7 (that's where I am now - on fresh install
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mainboard
    Intel Xeon W3520 (Bloomfield) @ 4.0GHz 24/7
    12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    128GB G.Skill Falcon SSD w/FW1916 (primary HDD)
    1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA HDD (for data)
    2x XFX Radeon HD 4890 in CrossfireX
    Silverstone Strider 850W ATX PSU
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    7.1 Windows Experience Index (Primary HDD is lowest score)

Comment

Thanks for that, I have been all over the shop the last time an upgrade was offered.

I have 3 laptops! my main is a dual drive dual core high end machine running W7 with a 128 as the primary drive, this machine cannot be set to IDE.

The second is a single drive dual core running XP, the third is a Netbbook running W7.

Previously I have removed the 128 from the main machine and placed it in a USB caddy place it on the other W7 machine after setting the jumper, the firmware program does not recognize the drive!
      Same with the XP machine.

If I remove the update jumper then both machines see the drive for what it is and I can read files from the 128.

So you tell me how I can upgrade given the above information, G.Skill somewhere advised that they did not believe you can upgrade using a USB caddy, has this changed with the new firmware upgrader?

David

Comment

I'm not sure if the docking station I have is like a caddy - it's a http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1346&ID=1642

I bought it specifically for upgrading the firmware on my Falcon SSD. Got it at Bestbuy.

I do know that my upgrade software wouldn't see the SSD in the caddy unless I right-click and 'run as administrator' when I start the "Upgrade_AP.exe"

I remember having to do that from 1571 to 1819 too
        ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mainboard
        Intel Xeon W3520 (Bloomfield) @ 4.0GHz 24/7
        12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
        128GB G.Skill Falcon SSD w/FW1916 (primary HDD)
        1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA HDD (for data)
        2x XFX Radeon HD 4890 in CrossfireX
        Silverstone Strider 850W ATX PSU
        Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
        7.1 Windows Experience Index (Primary HDD is lowest score)

Comment

Working...
        X