TRIM works only with Microsoft drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Titus View Post
    that is interesting...I've never actually filled my SSD to capacity or even within 20% capacity but I'm hoping this to be the case...I've had my Falcon 1 for months now and my benchmark scores fluctuate only by small percentage points even after prolonged heavy use

I only wish there was a better way of determining whether TRIM is working or not...I tried deleting large files, leaving my system idle, logging off etc and still have no idea if TRIM is working or not as my benchmark scores don't really move
    Without knowing it probably has filled it up many times over. Because of the performance hit in deleting flash and the fact you can do it only about 10,000 times before it go bang cells aren't actually deleted until the drive is full. Only then, during writes is the cell deleted. Which is why after a while they slow down. After it is full up once (unless something else is done) it slows down. That something else is either trim (which deletes cells when the operating system tells it to) and/or garbage collection (which deletes them during idle time). The interesting thing for Indilinx controllers is that for real world benchmarks it takes only something like an 8% hit when full. Others like the intel take a much bigger hit which is why trim and garbage collection is very important to them.

Since your benchmark scores stay pretty much the same either trim or garbage collection is working just fine. Its is real world benchmarks like pc vantage that don't take a hit. Synthetic benchmarks show only too clearly any degradation.

Thanks
    Bill

Comment

Working...
    X