BSOD now SSD undetected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD now SSD undetected

I have a 10 year old G.Skill 120GB SSD (FM-25S2S-120GBP2) as my Windows system drive. Without any warnings or errors my system blue screened. I did not notice the error of the BSOD but when I rebooted my BIOS could not detect the SSD.

I have swapped out the SATA cable, changed SATA ports on the motherboard, change the power connector, defaulted the BIOS, tried the SSD on a different PC, even put it in an USB enclosure. Nothing detects the SSD. After some internet research I found power issues are a common cause of SSD deaths. Despite having my system plugged into a UPS I tried the Crucial power trick of powering the SSD with power only (no data cable) for 30 mins, power it off for 30 seconds and then power only for another 30 mins. It seemed like a lot of people who had the same symptoms as me had good success with this but it did not work for me. I repeated the power trick again with 1 hour intervals to no avail. With the BIOS in IDE mode it does not detect the drive at all but when I put it in AHCI mode it says 1 device connected but never detects what that is. After the power trick I turned on the USB enclosure with the dead SSD and Windows blue screened with error "Driver power state failure". This had never happened before and I have power cycled the USB enclosure maybe 100 times in the last 2 days. I'm not sure if that's an improvement or not.

I found a few articles saying you can boot the SSD into factory access mode with the PC-3000 but that system is very expensive. Without the BIOS detecting the drive I can't run any diagnostics without specialized equipment.

My last option would be baking it in the oven to hopefully reflow the solder. Does anyone have any other alternatives of things I can try. TIA
    Last edited by Muckman81; 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM.

I bought my first computer in the late 2000s. I discovered that I could write a document and then print it out to make several dozen copies. At work, we used computers to manipulate large amounts of data. And at home, I could use the computer to keep track of my finances and create interesting documents and presentations. The biggest dilemma with my computer was that I lost the data from it a few times. There were no "cloud" services for storing your data in those days, so if your machine crashed, you were out of luck if you hadn't backed up your data recently. Luckily today, we have salvagedata.com, which is always able to help.

Comment

Working...
    X