No announcement yet.

G.SKill Falcon firmware V1819

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just adding my own experience, I have the same performance on my 64gb drive after flashing as I did on the first day i used it (give or take a mb or two for random changes between tests). This is all real world use though, file copies, recording raw 1080p video to the drive etc. Coudnt care less about what the synthetic tests say when the real world performance is spot on.

Comment

• Wait a few days, and make beenchmarks .........
      The first day with the 1819, I was very happy, but in a few days the performance droops. You can read similar problems on OCZ and Supertalent forums, and do not forget that it is the same Indilix firmware. And if G Skill says:

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
      actually, the principles of wiper and TRIM are almost the same
      the difference is you need to run wiper manually, but TRIM would run automatically
      thanks
      G.S
      I prefer manual TRIM (Wiper) without no performance loose, than automatic with a big penalty.

Comment

• @falcon64gb

the reason why win7 dropdown when u start up is that no ahci driver installed. here the solution

1. Close all programs.
        2. Press start, in searchfield enter "regedit" and press [Enter]
        3. If dialogue comes press continue
        4. Now search for following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

5. Klick with right-mouse-button, in the right column, on "Start", choose "Change.
        6. There enter the value "0" and press OK!

7. Close all, restart PC and enter BIOS.
        8. Change Setting from IDE to AHCI and start up. At first Win7 will install the ahci drivers and now you can use AHCI.

Sorry for OT
        Last edited by bugz; 11-09-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• thanks for the nice post but, there are about 1000 other posts all over the internet that say AHCI won't fix the speed problem.. and it won't change much.

I plan to try it anyway , nothing much to loose at that point... if it work better I'll post back.

Comment

• Run AHCI if you can (IE if it runs properly on your system). There really isnt much of a speed difference but AHCI is the new simplified driver model and everyone SHOULD really use it if they can. It sure makes working on peoples computers down the road a lot easier.

(But yeah the speed decreases people are talking about have NOTHING to do with AHCI)

Comment

• I'll make mention of this with IDE/AHCI I have a dual drive HP Laptop and the bios does not provide swapping between controllers, it's all software.
              I have an Intel chipset and I can't run wiper I believe it is because I am in AHCI even though my drives are not in raid.
              I don't know how I could run wiper other than removing the SSD and putting it somewhere else to perform the task.

Comment

• Wiper works fine on AHCI (I use AHCI and wiper on x64). Sometimes there are OTHER weird things that make wiper not work, or makes AHCI act weird, etc. Weird specific things in the bios, etc, etc.

Comment

• I've just tried AHCI : windows take longer to boot, twice as long ( because of this driver's initialization, I guess) and we have to disable just about everything that can help it boost faster ( prefetch, superfetch, etc ) and it made an already rather slow SSD even slower. This is getting ridiculous.

Going back to IDE..
                  Last edited by sirius69; 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Yep me too, tried AHCI but took a bit performance hit.

After 3 days now the write speeds are slowly degrading although the read speeds are the same.

Edit:

Immediately ran MANUAL wiper after that CrystalDisk benchy and now the performance for the write speeds have returned, looks like auto Trim aint doing it's job very well.

Might have to keep running manual trim with this firmware, no need to revert back to 1571 just use this one and run manual trim every few days.
                    Last edited by Falcon64gb; 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• I would be curious to see the specs of the different vendors of SSD on newegg , ncix, etc , are they still talking about fabulous "in your dream " speed or they have decided to tell the truth ? Their "up to xxx mg/sec" is starting to look more like false advertising...

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcon64gb View Post
                        Yep me too, tried AHCI but took a bit performance hit.

After 3 days now the write speeds are slowly degrading although the read speeds are the same.

Edit:

Immediately ran MANUAL wiper after that CrystalDisk benchy and now the performance for the write speeds have returned, looks like auto Trim aint doing it's job very well.

Might have to keep running manual trim with this firmware, no need to revert back to 1571 just use this one and run manual trim every few days.
                        Hmm. I think another possibility is that perhaps it's best to install the firmware, then run Wiper, and then let TRIM do it's job from that point forward - just as long as you leave your system idling long enough. My guess is like an hour or more. I mean, TRIM certainly needs the idle time to restore the performance by doing its job. But I also think that Wiper needs to be run in order to give the user a clean starting point so that they don't have to wait for wiper to clean it up.

Comment

• I've done all that, the computer was idle for a whole afternoon.. all the tricks in the books were done and still 20% slower for writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
                            Hmm. I think another possibility is that perhaps it's best to install the firmware, then run Wiper, and then let TRIM do it's job from that point forward - just as long as you leave your system idling long enough. My guess is like an hour or more. I mean, TRIM certainly needs the idle time to restore the performance by doing its job. But I also think that Wiper needs to be run in order to give the user a clean starting point so that they don't have to wait for wiper to clean it up.
                            TRIM has nothing to do with idle time (it is NOT background garbage collection). All trim does is when a file is deleted it tells the drive to erase those sectors, right then.

Comment

• Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                              I would be curious to see the specs of the different vendors of SSD on newegg , ncix, etc , are they still talking about fabulous "in your dream " speed or they have decided to tell the truth ? Their "up to xxx mg/sec" is starting to look more like false advertising...
                              even with the drop in performance with firmware 1819 an SSD is still much faster then any mechanical hard drive...it may not reach its highest speeds anymore but is still way ahead of any mechanical drive

I'm going to skip 1819 and wait for the next firmware...running Wiper only takes a few seconds so it doesn't bother me...I'd rather have the extra performance of 1571 (even if it is only noticable in synthetic benchmarks) because that's what I paid for when I bought the SSD

Comment

• I am reading on the instructions that you need to mess around with the jumpers? Is this true? What a pain if it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X