No announcement yet.

G.SKill Falcon firmware V1819

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After all i have red here I dont know if its worthy to upgrade!! I have 1571 and I have to format again my 64GB Falcon because I made a partition with Linux and primary with Win7 x64 7600 what is the OS I use most finally

For that I will be apreciate any suggestions and if finally worth to install latest upgrade

Thanks!

NOTE: Also I will be grateful if anyone can tell me the steps to make a better format and install of Win7 x64 7600 with my Falcon 64GB (to improve the performance)

Comment

• Originally posted by nogi View Post
      I am reading on the instructions that you need to mess around with the jumpers? Is this true? What a pain if it is.
      Yep. But you need another drive with Windows on it. So, you have to shut down, put the jumper on the Falcon, turn the computer back on, make sure the system boots from the other drive, and then while using the other drive, you update the Falcon's firmware.

The reason you can't do this from the Falcon is because it wipes it totally clean.

Comment

• Finally upgraded firmware and installed Windows 7. I noticed a slight decrease in writing speed (on synthetical test), but I'm in RAID 0 configuration so don't mind if I have BGGC now. And can't notice a real life diference so far.

For the record my Windows 7 experience index (on "hard" disk) have decreased by 0.1 (from 7.6 to 7.5) after upgrade the firmware.

A petition for the future, can be done the upgrade procedure without the jumper?
        Last edited by RickDekkard; 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RickDekkard View Post
          Finally upgraded firmware and installed Windows 7. I noticed a slight decrease in writing speed (on synthetical test), but I'm in RAID 0 configuration so don't mind if I have BGGC now. And can't notice a real life diference so far.

For the record my Windows 7 experience index (on "hard" disk) have decreased by 0.1 (from 7.6 to 7.5) after upgrade the firmware.

A petition for the future, can be done the upgrade procedure without the jumper?

Are you sure BGGC is working? It works for OCZ but I have not seen anything about it working with the Falcons.

Comment

• Windows 7 here...
            After the firmware upgrade I lost allooot of write speed... I could get almost 160mb/sec in my Falcon 64gb (don't know why that speed), and now he doesn't get over 105mb/s.
            Reading speed before was around 230-240mb/s, now is at 220mb/s in it's maximum... Is this because of the TRIM command?

If I use Wiper will it be in top shape again?

Can I roll back to my previous firmware? I used wiper only once in 5months... I don't mind using it Just give me speeed
            Last edited by V3ctor; 11-13-2009, 02:41 AM.
            C2Q Q6600// Gigabyte EP45-DQ6// 2x2Gb Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz// G.Skill Falcon 64Gb // XFX ATi HD5870 1Gb GDDR5 // Samsung T260// CM690 Watercooled: EK Supreme
            AMD X2 2350BE// ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI// 4x1Gb Corsair/OCZ // Viewsonic VX922// WD250Gb// Chieftec
            Toshiba A200-21T // C2D T8300 (2x2.4Ghz)// 3Gb DDR2//ATi HD2600// Hitachi 250Gb

Comment

• Originally posted by V3ctor View Post
              Windows 7 here...
              After the firmware upgrade I lost allooot of write speed... I could get almost 160mb/sec in my Falcon 64gb (don't know why that speed), and now he doesn't get over 105mb/s.
              Reading speed before was around 230-240mb/s, now is at 220mb/s in it's maximum... Is this because of the TRIM command?

If I use Wiper will it be in top shape again?

Can I roll back to my previous firmware? I used wiper only once in 5months... I don't mind using it Just give me speeed
              You can't roll back, but you can install it the same way you installed 1819.

Comment

• he is lucky to get 105mb/sec in write speed... whatever i do I only get a 80 mb/sec on write, 20% full SSD. Ridiculous .. I don't know where they get these "up to" speeds.. reading speed is at 185 . Wiper or not, it remain lame .. 2 raid 0 velociraptor would do the same thing without all those problems with flashing, jumper, erasing the ssd, up and down speeds.. pure BS if you ask me.. and now I know that I will never believe what they say in their fabulous UP to speed..

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffyj View Post
                  Are you sure BGGC is working? It works for OCZ but I have not seen anything about it working with the Falcons.
                  Not, only a hope.... but it's coherent with the loss of writing speed. GSkill promised us that this firmware will have BGGC, but will be good that they confirm us that.

Comment

• we don't know what's working or not, we only know that we now have a part of what we bought in the first place... First day was nice...

Comment

• here's my raid0 performance lost almost 50mb/s total but as long as ITGC is working it's worth it. 1571FW

and here's 1819

Comment

• and can a rep confirm ITGC is working thank. I can't believe i have to ask

Comment

• Nice info, thanks.

Comment

• Here is my benchmarks with the fw 1819 (2x Falcon 128 GB)

My other RAID array with hdds (2x750 GB Seagate/32MB) for comparison, give a max of 210 MB/s and a average of 163 MB/s (good for mechanical hdds of that capacity).

ATTO test

HDTACH

And CrystalDiskMark

I haven't screenshots for the 1571 fw, but as I said, I got a slight decrease in read speed (almost not noticeable) and about 40-50 MB/s decrease in writing speed. Works for me, if it keeps that stable in time (this is, if GC is on).

I also have noticed (if can be of interest) that if I connect another hdd to sata or esata ports (single drive, non raid) the performance decreases significantly, but this can be "fault" of the ICH9R controller.

Regards.
                            Last edited by RickDekkard; 11-13-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• GREAT Post .. Thanks ! INTERESTING .

Comment

• at least the new firmware doesn't brick your SSD...according to some Intel and OCZ users, the new firmware completely destroyed their SSD's...I'll take a performance drop over a dead drive anyday...so at least we can be grateful that G.Skill tests and tweaks the firmware before releasing it to the public

Comment

Working...
                                X