gigabyte RGB fusion killing ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigabyte RGB fusion killing ram?

Hi I have read old posts where fusion RGB did kill some gskill ram, but are those only SPD being messed up or it can actually cause the chip to be overdriven or what to a point it gets error in memtest or so? asking so because previously I had 2 packs of f5-5600j3036d32gx2-tz5rk gone bad on me, first pack can't run stable XMP and need downclock to 5200 and only survived only a month without changing RGB, the replacement kit at first passed memtest at first, but have an error on 670K prime95 run with AVX disabled, RGB locked to static colour, survived only 9 days before it get me CTD while gaming and once running memtest from UEFI a ton of error pop up within 5 min.

Now I upgraded to a pair of f5-6000j3238g32gx2-tz5rk and touchwood it passes both XMP, stable on memtest and prime 95 large FFT for 45min without any error, now running @5600 1.25v with SPD timings in XMP on a 12700KF and Gigabyte Z690 UD AX. just a bit worried are there any chance the RGB fusion will kill the ram slowly or are there any report on this issue from G Skill? the default chasing RGB is annoying to me so I want static colour, but if it kills the ram then it seems stupid to do so?

Maybe there is a specific version of RGB Fusion 2.0 that is faulty, but I have not heard anything about that. In general RGB software should not write into the SPD anymore, since G.SKILL switched to a software based control scheme. Even before that (back in 2017), SPD corruption happened mostly due to software conflicts. Then the modules would no longer get recognized by the system at all or the SPD would start to contain invalid data and CRC errors. Your description does not really match that. If you still suspect a software issue, make sure there is no other RGB app running in parallel with RGB Fusion and look for an available software update.

If modules were to keep failing even without using any RGB software, there might be an electrical issue with the motherboard. The DIMM temperatures shouldn't matter at voltages that low, unless you are baking the modules with your GPU.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
    X