XMP Overclocking Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMP Overclocking Fail

I recently put together my first PC, everything went pretty smooth and got it running on default speeds (4800) but had problems trying to enable XMP (memory overclocking fail blackscreen and reset)

PC
    Windows 11 Pro
    Intel 13600K
    3070 EVGA FTW3
    MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi (DDR5)

Ram : F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK (installed in A2/B2 as per manual)

I am no means an expert at overclocking, bought my motherboard mid-december.

GSkill website says this is compatible with my motherboard but I can't get it to work.

My intention is just to have RAM plug and play enable XMP to have it run at full speeds, I'm not comfortable manually tinkering around.

My only thought is that I may need to update my motherboard BIOS, but I've never done it before.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Kmatts10; 01-14-2023, 11:30 AM.

Make sure you are using the latest BIOS for your MSI Z790 mobo by going to the support page on MSI’s website for your product. BIOS updates continue to improve DDR5 compatibility, especially with the kit that you have. Refer to your mobo user manual or the MSI support page for instructions on how to update your BIOS. Once updated to the latest version, you should have no problem activating XMP Profile 1.

EDIT: It appears the latest BIOS version for your mobo was released on 1/6/2023. Among the fixes it lists is “improve memory compatibility.” https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z...K-WIFI/support
    Last edited by wdseith; 01-16-2023, 08:35 AM.

Comment

After deciding to upgrade my motherboard BIOS to the latest version (H2) and enabling XMP I am still receiving a memory overclocking fail. I was able to boot it up on default but after going back into BIOS to enable XMP my computer now freezes at BIOS and I can't go back to my default settings. Essentially I can't exit and save the settings. Causing my computer to boot and overclock fail back to BIOS. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this or why I still can't enable XMP?

Comment

I got it back to running on default settings, but still can't enable XMP. Not sure what else to do at this point, Gskill tech has told me this RAM should be compatible.

Comment

Kmatts10, I am just as surprised by that result as you are. And, yes, I agree 100% with the Gskil tech who told you this kit should be (and is) compatible with your mobo and processor. That said, I would suggest two things: 1) Switch the two sticks--put the stick that's currently in B2 into A2 and the stick that's currently in A2 into B2 (and make sure both sticks are properly and fully seated in their respective slots) and reboot; 2) if step 1 doesn't allow you to activate XMP, try one stick at a time in A2 only. If you are able to activate XMP with only one of the sticks, but not the other, I would let your retailer know you got a bad kit and want to exchange it for a new one. If neither stick will allow you to activate XMP, I would start to suspect your mobo is not cooperating and may need to be exchanged for a new one.

Please try step 1 above first and let me know the results. You can also try step 2 above as well if step 1 doesn't work.

One last thought, your original post did not list what PSU you are using. For the setup you have, I believe an 850 Watt PSU would be the minimum I would recommend. While I don't necessarily think a lower than recommended PSU would cause this issue for you, it certainly would be good to eliminate that as a possibility.

Comment

I'll test both methods tonight when I get home. I have a 1000W Corsair Rmx.

Comment

That's a solid PSU for your build. Thanks for checking that off the list.

Comment

Ok, results are in.....

Step 1) Swapped the 2 RAM sticks failed to enable XMP

Comment

Step 2) Tested each RAM module individually and both were successful in enabling XMP. Checked with CPU-Z. My brains really scrambled now.

Comment

All configurations run stable at default values, I can successfully enable XMP with both individual sticks installed in A2. But fail when both installed and attempt to enable XMP

Comment

I would try each in B2 individually as well. If that doesn’t work, you know B2 is not cooperating and you’ll need to RMA the mobo. For grins and giggles you could also try A1 and B1 for your two sticks and see if you can get XMP with both sticks that way. That’s not ideal, of course, so I would still consider RMAing the mobo even if that does work.
                      Last edited by wdseith; 01-18-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Alas, after testing each RAM module individually in B2 both failed to enable XMP after both succeeding in A2. I've been in contact with MSI support and they ensured me this was purely a RAM compatibility issue. I'll have to deal with that... I appreciate all your help in troubleshooting this. You saved me a lot of time and I learned quite a bit. Thanks

Comment

Well, I certainly beg to differ with MSI’s conclusion. If each stick of RAM is able run at XMP in A2 but not B2, there is definitely a problem with the B2 slot on that specific board, and not either of your memory modules. That’s pretty clear. Again, however, if you don’t have a cooperative retailer who can help you win that fight with MSI, I would try putting your sticks in A1 and B1 and enabling XMP. While using the A2/B2 combo is the recommended installation, using A1/B1 should also work.

I don’t know where you bought your components, but I know Newegg, Micro Center, and Best Buy are all very customer friendly when it comes to computer components that don’t work as advertised. Micro Center in particular is extremely forgiving if the return is within 30-60 days. Bottom line, it doesn’t hurt to ask your retailer for help here.
                          Last edited by wdseith; 01-18-2023, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I agree, I bought off Newegg. I will contact them and see what they can do for me.

Comment

Newegg should be willing to do a straight-up exchange for another copy of the same board. It’s been awhile, but I believe their process is that you order and pay for a replacement board and after it arrives, you ship your failed board back to them for a refund. If that is indeed the way they still do it, you can continue to use your setup while waiting for the new board to arrive.

EDIT: BTW, if you do get your modules to activate XMP when they in the A1/B1 combo, that’s further evidence you have to convince MSI and Newegg that the B2 slot in your mobo is the problem.
                              Last edited by wdseith; 01-18-2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X