Welcome DDR5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome DDR5!

A new generation has arrived! Here is a run down of some details to know.

DDR5 UDIMM modules have the same dimensions and pin count as DDR4 modules. The most obvious difference is the position of the fool-proof notch.
    The notch location / gap between pins on the memory modules has changed with DDR5, preventing newer modules from being accidentally fully inserted into older DDR4 slots and vice versa.

A PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit) on the module helps reduce the role of the motherboard in power management by handling most of it on-chip. It is essentially the brains behind an intelligent voltage regulation system that facilitates the configurability of voltage ramps and levels while offering current monitoring features. This allows for the most complete control of individual memory modules to date.

Compared to DDR4, DDR5 has double memory banks, burst length, and prefetch to improve capability and efficiency.

Standard DDR5 modules will feature two independently addressable 32-bit sub-channels. This will especially help high end multi-core processors more efficiently manage the retrieval of data from memory by having access to multiple separate locations.

All DDR5 DRAM modules feature the ability to correct errors before a bad bit leaves the module. As DRAM density increases (due to wafer lithography shrinks), the potential for data leakage within modules also goes up. ODECC (On-Die Error Correction Code) catches any such bad bits early on and corrects them.

The current JEDEC standard for DDR5 memory is DDR5-4800 CL40-40-40 @ 1.10V
    The highest JEDEC standard for DDR4 is DDR4-3200 CL22-22-22 @ 1.20V

DDR5 DRAM modules start with a baseline memory speed of DDR5-4800 compared to DDR4-3200, a +50% increase.
    Maximum capacity per DIMM jumps from 32GB to 128GB.
    Transfer rate improves from 25,600Mb/s to 38,400Mb/s

As with previous generations, mix matching and using multiple memory kits in a system is not recommended as results are not guaranteed. However with DDR5, this appears to be even more important so make sure to use only a single kit of memory in each build.

Currently with the latest Intel Z690 chip set and supported processors, DDR5-5600 is an ideal performance point for most users and builds. For extreme users and overclockers, DDR5-5600+ can be complementary with a capable motherboard and CPU. For guaranteed results, always follow the G.Skill QVL or RAM Configurator.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

Official QVL will be available in upcoming weeks.
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-04-2021, 10:16 AM.

Been looking for dd5 gskill kits everywhere but haven’t found any. Will they be available soon? Second, the recommended DDR5-5600 kit is suitable for an Intel 12900k on an Asus Maximus extreme z690? Don’t see that on the memory finder yet. Z690 doesn’t seem to be listed yet. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hopper64; 10-30-2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Hopper64
      The Ripjaws S5 models actually were available at different shops and even in Europe, but they sold out very fast.

I don't think the website has gotten the big DDR5 update yet. Neither the DDR5 option, nor the Ripjaws S5 and Trident Z5 are available from the desktop memory menu and like you said the Z690 models have not been added to the configurator. Since the official ADL release date is 4th of November, maybe some of the information is still under embargo?
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Probably so, but some of the processors are up for preorder on Newegg. Figured that might apply to memory too. I guess I will be checking the website frequently.

What’s up with the memory timings on DDR5? That’s very confusing. Is latency that poor, or am I just trying to compare DDR4/DD5 like apple/apple vs. apple/orange? Should not be comparing the two? Thanks!!

Comment

BTW-Will simple XMP selection in the bios yield acceptable stability with the new kits, or will there be some tweaking of the voltages involved?

Comment

Well, the newegg story actually made it into the news:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ne...y-ship-nda-req

You can't really compare DDR5 to DDR4 timings 1:1, the same way it was not possible to compare DDR4 to DDR3 timings. Just wait till Thursday when the official reviews go live. Several websites have announced they will publish results of ADL with DDR4 vs ADL with DDR5.

Memory and MB combinations that are listed as compatible shouldn't require adjustments beyond activating the XMP. As always going with one of the highest supported memory frequencies for a specific MB can require adjustments, if the memory training is still a bit wonky on the early BIOS releases or your processors memory controller is on the weaker side.
            Last edited by emissary42; 10-30-2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!!!

Comment

Hopper64 The DDR5 product pages are online, but no QVLs yet. However some Z690 models are already listed in the configurator, so the updates are definitely in progress.

Comment

Thanks. I will look at it right now.

Comment

Now the problem is finding stock somewhere. Any ETA at memoryc or Newegg? Thanks!!

Comment

….looking in particular for trident Z5.

Comment

Hello, just registerend, I see there is no sharp eta for the DDR5 Trident Z5 (at least 6400 or 6600 CL36) series atm?
                        I have all parts ready for Alderlake, hopefully it won't be weeks before stock

Any updates for eta in Europe?

Comment

From my experience they won't be available until after they are listed with a product page on the website. Based on that I would expect the 5600 CL36 (and CL40) models to be available first.

Comment

You think graphic cards are hard to get? imagine ddr5 ram. 32 gb for 1000€. what the heck. At least one good side of this - motherboard and cpu prices are plummeting.

would be nice if g.skill would send me 2 sticks for a reasonable price
                            Last edited by korenje; 11-19-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

AFAIK DDR5 is still backordered for several months so early adoption will be problematic with no RAM to use that new Z690 motherboard
                              Corsair Carbide 300R & TX850V2
                              Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
                              AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 Black Edition 125W
                              G.SKILL F3-17000CL11-4GBXL + Micron 8KTF25664AZ-1G6M1
                              EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
                              Asus PA238QR

Comment

Working...
                              X