Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get F4-4000C19D-32GTZR to run at full speed on MSI board

Hello everyone,

As the title says I have been unable to get this DDR4 set to run at 4000. According to G.Skill's QVL https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1...19D-32GTZR-Qvl my board, the MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC shows up. I have had the setup since the Summer of 2019 and have never been able to get it to run at 4000MHz. The best I can get is 3800MHz which isnt bad, just not what I am expecting.

Ive tried everything I can think of and will list a few i can think of.

-Started simple by defaulting the bios and just enabling XMP. It reads the XMP profile correctly according to the specs, but when I save and reboot I get the screen saying it couldnt boot with the current settings.
    -I have tried manually setting up the profile and the timings vs leaving it to Auto. Same issue, cannot boot.
    -I have tried bumping up the voltage slightly thinking maybe it just needed a little more juice, but no dice.
    -I have tried 3 bios revisions. The one that came with the board, the new one listed on MSI's website, and finally the latest one that was released in November.
    -Instead of setting it all up in the bios, I have tried setting it through their Dragon Center software.
    -I tried the option Memory Try It ! to set it at the appropriate profile.

So I am open to any more ideas to try. Currently I am running it at 3800 and was able to lower the timings to 17-18-18-38 vs the normal 19-19-19-39 which might actually be slightly better anyways.

It should be noted I am using 64gigs of memory. At the time there was no 64gig kit for these, only 32 gig kits so I ordered 2 of them.

As far as my system goes should that help, it is as follows:
    -Intel i9-9900k Processor
    -MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard
    -64 Gigs Memory G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZR (each stick is 16 gigs and came as a kit of 32gigs....so 2 kits)
    -MSI Ventus RTX2080 8GB Video Card
    -Creative Soundblaster Zx Sound card (i cant stand the onboard audio and love that the creative software lets me output everything as DD or DTS, but that's another discussion!)
    -Various Samsung SSD drives (2 NVME drives, 3 Sata SSD) and 1 Intel SSD. Most of these carried over from previous builds, but the 1TB Samsung 970 Pro is my main one.
    -Corsair Custom Water loop taking care of the CPU and GPU (no effect on memory, just listing things as the problem has been before I ever water cooled anything).
    -Cooling is great with the water loop and various fans.. This is all housed in a Corsair Crystal 680x which has plenty of space)
    -Corsair HX1200i PSU

One thing I noted, but have received mixed answers on is next to the CPU is an 8pin power connector and a 4pin. I've read that you dont need both plugged in....it is just giving both options.

So I am at a loss of what to do. The memory was quite expensive back in the Summer when I got it and had I known I would never get it up to speed even though it shows as tested by G.Skill I would have gone a different route or spent less money on the memory.

Im open to try anything, can answer any questions about my build or if I have tried something in particular, etc I would greatly appreciate it. I havent had any luck googling around for answers (maybe because its specific items or im not asking the right questions).

Have you tried adjusting the CPU VCCSA Voltage to see if that can improve stability? Sounds like the CPU IMC is overloaded so it may need a manual boost to stabilize DDR4-4000. By using two separate memory kits the rated specifications are no longer guaranteed, so 3800 is actually quite good considering they are not a single matched kit.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Have you tried adjusting the CPU VCCSA Voltage to see if that can improve stability? Sounds like the CPU IMC is overloaded so it may need a manual boost to stabilize DDR4-4000. By using two separate memory kits the rated specifications are no longer guaranteed, so 3800 is actually quite good considering they are not a single matched kit.
      Glad they can get an answer but I have been emailing tech support and waiting on a reply here for a couple weeks now -.- ....

Comment

Originally posted by Kwilson2123 View Post

Glad they can get an answer but I have been emailing tech support and waiting on a reply here for a couple weeks now -.- ....
        Try resending the email or another method of contact. Response time is typically 2 business days so if a method is not working, or require more immediate assistance, please try calling to get a hold of us or forum for community support. Some times emails don't make it or get caught up as SPAM, so in those cases you may not receive a response. Once in touch we will make sure your system is operating at maximum performance.
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X