Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing different models: Trident Z Neo & Ripjaws V

Hello there.
    I am thinking to add another 2 sticks of DDR4 Ram kit (probably 2x16gb) to my existing Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (F4-3600C16-GTZNC) setup but it is really hard to find G.Skill rams with CL16 3600mhz sticks in my country. So it seems like the only option i have found through local web sites is the following: RipjawsV 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4-3600Mhz CL16 1.35V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC Dual Kit Ram.
    My first plan was to find a 2x32 of Trident Z Neo and add it to my 2x16 to make it 96gb but it seems there is no option there with not only Trident, any models of CL16 and 3600mhz sticks as 2x32 and i also dont know if it would work or not.
    So here is my question:
    Is there any problem to mix Ripjaws V and Trident Z Neo sticks all together with the same CL and Frequency?
    Or what would you advice if anything else?
    I dont want to buy a complete new set and try selling the existing one. I just want to add something and improve the system.

Here is my PC components:

Ryzen 9 5900X
    Rog Strix X570-E Gaming
    Trident Z Neo 2x16gb F4-3600C16-16GTZNC DRAM Manuf.: SK Hynix (as shown in CPU-Z)
    Corsair HX1000i power supply

Thank you.
    Last edited by Serencebey; 10-05-2023, 02:20 PM.

You can try to run mixed kits, but it is not officially recommended or tested.

If you combine two kits with identical specifications (regardless of series), the XMP might still work, as long as the motherboard supports it with four modules. To evaluate that beforehand, check if the QVL of the quad kit, e.g. F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC or F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC, contains your motherboard. It does not guarantee that it will work out, but it is at least an indicator.

If the specifications (DIMM capacity, memory frequency, primary & secondary timings, voltages) differ, the motherboard might disable the XMP option in the UEFI altogether. Then a manual memory overclock is required. That can be taxing esp for OC novices, since it requires juggling lots of settings and extensive stability testing afterwards.

Even though you are trying to avoid it, in most cases it is more sensible to swap out the current modules with a single kit of the required capacity and then sell it off.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      You can try to run mixed kits, but it is not officially recommended or tested.

If you combine two kits with identical specifications (regardless of series), the XMP might still work, as long as the motherboard supports it with four modules. To evaluate that beforehand, check if the QVL of the quad kit, e.g. F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC or F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC, contains your motherboard. It does not guarantee that it will work out, but it is at least an indicator.

If the specifications (DIMM capacity, memory frequency, primary & secondary timings, voltages) differ, the motherboard might disable the XMP option in the UEFI altogether. Then a manual memory overclock is required. That can be taxing esp for OC novices, since it requires juggling lots of settings and extensive stability testing afterwards.

Even though you are trying to avoid it, in most cases it is more sensible to swap out the current modules with a single kit of the required capacity and then sell it off.
      Thank you for the detailed information.

I cross-checked the QVL for the quad kit of Ripjaw V C16 and 3600mhz, and it seems like both quad kits and dual kits of this model are on both lists of motherboard QVL and G.Skill QVL. I think there is an indication there it can work.
      And by the term "swap out the current modules with a single kit of the required capacity" - if i am not misunderstanding what you mean, that i have no available option there. Because there is no 64gb with 2x32gb sticks with C16 / 3600mhz (16-19-19-39) that ever produced or made i guess. My initial plan was the same to get a 2x32gb with that specs and add it to my existing 32gb (2x16gb) and run with all same specs as a total of 96gb, but i think i am out of that option there initially. So my alternative is to get this Ripjaws V 32gb (2x16gb) with the same exact specs 16-19-19-39/3600mhz and mix them all. I hope i understand you correctly.

Thank you.

Comment

Here is an update:
        I bought the 2x16gb Ripjaw V and added to the existing Trident 2x16gb setup, all specs match and there seems no error with a total of 64gb C16 at 3600mhz. Also no additional fine tuning is done, just put them in, all 4 slots are occupied and system is up & running. Everything looks fine.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X