Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compatibility issue or faulty ram issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility issue or faulty ram issue?

Basically, I just got a new desktop and for a about a week everything was working fine and was using the ram with XMP enabled no problems But one day the PC took ages to turn on and I started getting crashes during games, the more demanding the game the faster the game or the PC would crash, the PC was turning on normally after that one time but i couldn't play anything without either the game crashing or the PC just shutting down and rebooting and that has been happening ever since that day. After about 10/15 mins it crashes or if the game is not that demanding it can take from 30/60 mins for that to happen

After a lot of troubleshooting I found that if I disabled XMP everything ran fine so the problem was with the XMP

Normally this would be a simple answer, the ram couldn't run at XMP overclock because of compatibility issues with the motherboard but if that was the case why did it work fine for a week straight and stopped working out of nowhere?
    I didn't change anything in drivers or bios or even installed anything to justify this change in behavior

I ran windows memory diagnostic and memtest86+ and both sticks came out with no issues so it's weird to think it was faulty RAM but what's weird is it working with XMP on the exact same games for a week straight

Is this really a compatibility issue or should I RMA the sticks to check for problems?

The RAM I am using is Ripjaws V DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42 1.40V 32GB (2x16GB) F4-4000C18D-32GVK

The PC specs are:
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX DDR4
    CPU: Intel Core I7-13700K
    GPU: Gigabyte GAMING OC RTX3080 10GB
    PSU: Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80+ Gold
    Storage: Kingston NV2 1TB

If your crashes only happen with 3D load, it could be a temperature issue due to the heat output of the GPU. The more demanding the game, the higher the load on the GPU and therewith more heat and faster crashes. You could confirm this by either redirecting the heat output of the GPU away from the memory or by putting an impromptu fan right above the modules.

Other than that, based on the QVL the F4-4000C18D-32GVK are not actually compatible with your motherboard. So if it not a temperature issue, I'd test if the XMP does work with a reduced frequency. Keep the XMP enabled and lower the DRAM ratio step by step till the crashes are completely gone.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

It's not the GPU since it works fine without XMP enabled and I've tried other RAM with XMP and had no issues so the problem lies in the RAM, I already know that the RAM and the Mobo are not compatible hence why I said it was probably a compatibility issue, what's weird is that it worked without a problem with XMP for like a week straight but then when it started crashing my system and I ran the tests everything came out fine
      my question here was mostly if this is normal when you have compatibility issues or If the memory tests I did simply couldn't find the problem

Comment

I have the same ram, cpu and motherboard.

same for me, if I use a game/ce it crash within the next 10min.

i think the latest mother bios is making thing worse.. I will need to test a ever over the weekend.

what did help is to set the xmp profile and the timing and speed manually.

then set the ram voltage to 1.42, it’s super stable except when it wake from sleep, then the computer crash and reboot.

so I think I’m close to a solution..

Comment

Working...
        X