Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM compatibility with Dell Optiplex 3050

Hi all

I've received a Dell Optiplex 3050 SFF the other day, upgraded HDD to SSD, and now aim at increasing the 8gb RAM. I'm looking at 32gb in total (max as well), and thus for a 2x16gb kit given the two slots. Speed is not the essence, primarily using the RAM to handle large data sets (and/or queries).

The existing RAM is a Samsung DDR4-2400 (288 pin), running with CL17, screenshots from CPU-Z below. I've narrowed down some G.Skill Aegis options, this (CL17) or this (CL15), but wonder if they will really run. Both fit the case physically with 30.4mm height, but I wonder if density etc. might cause issues - and I haven't found super clear specs/reqs from Dell either (see owners manual, page 65).

Many thanks to anyone who could confirm whether these sticks will run. Alternative is to bite the bullet and try it (and return if needed), or go for "officially compatible" ones from Crucial.

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip_RAM.png
Views:	366
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	168699 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip_SPD.png
Views:	387
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	168700

Density shouldn't be an issue, but you probably won't be able to utilize the XMP of a kit like the F4-2400C15D-32GIS, since OEM systems usually lack support for that. So they would only work at default settings. The specifications on the product page list that as the SPD Speed (DDR4-2133 in this case).

Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks emissary, much appreciated. I'm aware that XMP won't work, but chose to accept this for my use cases. I'll just make sure to choose a good CL/SPD speed combo (the CL15-2133 Aegis seems to marginally outperform CL17-2400). Do you happen to know if the Fortis series might create issues for Intel based MBs, aside of being the primary choice for AMD systems? It's got a slightly higher speed (CL15-2400).

Comment

Oh snap, I missed your post. Sorry!

No, I don't have any experience with the Fortis series. The DDR4-2400 CL15 models probably are CL17 at default and require XMP support for CL15 at that frequency.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

No worries emissary.

Felt like dropping a final reply: Went with the CL15 sticks and the system works like a charm (as said, without XMP). If anyone is interested I could drop a screenshot of CPU-Z.

Comment

Working...
          X