Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F4-3200C16Q-64GVK - Is it a memory problem or a mix problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-3200C16Q-64GVK - Is it a memory problem or a mix problem?

Hi,

I built a PC earlier this year, and I had problem running Memtest86 with this memory kit : Model F4-3200C16Q-64GVK

Initially, I put one stick at the time in, and it started failing when I put the 4th in. As soon as I would remove THAT stick, it would pass. And if I moved another stick in its position, it would work. So I thought it was a faulty stick.

I RMA'd that one, and received a new one. The problem persist. So I am not so sure anymore the problem is the memory; or I was really unlucky. After reading many things on similar topic, I came to wonder if it is not a "combination" problem. This is my setup:

AMD Ryzen 5500
    ASRock B550 Pro4
    64Gb RAM F4-3200C16Q-64GVK

... Not that it matters, but the rest of the specs are
    Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
    Gamemax power supply 850W
    OS is on WD Red SA500 M.2 2280 1 TB drive
    I have some other drives not listed here (mechanical + SSD).
    Windows 11 (but I don't even go there for Memtest86)

A few things:
    1. Error is always on the same addresses, from the same CPU
    2. I tried the XMP setting to run at 3200Mhz, it is way worse.
    3. I am trying on all default, so the RAM runs at 2666Mhz, still get some errors
    4. All voltage and OC stuff is set to Auto and I still get some errors.

I don't want to game, I don't want to overclock, I just use this as a home server to run some software development VMs, Plex, and the such. But I would feel better with a Memtest86 that doesn't fail.

Suggestions?

Do you have the latest BIOS? Which memtest version did you use? Make sure it is newer and for DDR4.

So does any 3 combination of memory work fine?

Did memtest each module or pair to see if certain ones perform differently? This is the best way to isolate DRAM for troubleshooting.

If there is any difference in modules, send them in for RMA replacement:

https://www.gskill.com/rma-policy

Comment

Hi,

Latest BIOS 2.20 for that motherboard.
      Latest Memtest stable, also tried latest public beta, same results.

For the any 3 combination, I will need to try. But memtesting individual is a good idea, although time-intensive. I will give that a try first I think. I believe I did initially, but it's worth it re-trying - if only to be certain.

Thanks!

Mic

Comment

Well, that was worth it. The 1st stick I tried, which comes from the original bundle, is failing. The other 3 are good. So I think I should RMA the whole package... right?

I used 2 different memory slots for the 1st stick, both failed. Then I used the same slot for all sticks, only 1 fails (the 1st stick).

Comment

Yes, replace the kit and a new one should work better.

Comment

Working...
          X