Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Trident Z RGB 128 work on Maximus X Formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Trident Z RGB 128 work on Maximus X Formula?

URGENT question!

Since Asus have added support for 128 GB DIMMs in their UEFI update 2503 for ROG Maximus X Formula, and, since the 64 GB Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR) already qualifies for this motherboard, I'm hoping that the 128 GB (F4-3600C18Q-128GTZR) Trident Z RGB will also work for this motherboard. (My CPU is Intel i7 8700K). Please say it will, G. Skill!

Hopefully the 128 GB would work, but if not, I'm wondering if this 64 GB F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR qualifies for this motherboard. It's not in cluded in the G. Skill QVL but it's listed as compatible on the PC Part Picker website.)
    Last edited by hced; 12-31-2021, 05:33 AM.

Since there's been no answers here on the forum, here's the information I was provided by G. Skill via email:

Based on our official QVL, we will be unable to recommend our 128GB DDR4 memory kit as it might not be fully compatible with your system.

I don't want to gamble so I purchased the CL6 64GB F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR. There's the faster CL14 64GB F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR which is listed among reportedly compatible DIMMs for the Maximus X Formula on PCPartPicker.com but again, since it's not in the QVl I can't gamble around. Should PCPartPicker be correct about the CL14 variant, I'd recommend to G. Skill that you update the QVL as best as possible, because these things matter for those of us who haven't got the latest motherboards.

Comment

CL14 kit should work fine as they use same but higher quality chips than the CL16 kit. However for 128GB kits, that would need to be re-validated with the latest BIOS versions so we can not be certain until that is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        CL14 kit should work fine as they use same but higher quality chips than the CL16 kit. However for 128GB kits, that would need to be re-validated with the latest BIOS versions so we can not be certain until that is completed.
        That's good news. Would you say the F4-3600C14Q-64GTZRA is likely to work fine with the Maximus X Formula and Intel i7 8700K? Or the F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR?

My actual question is, for 3D production and specifically Viewport editing like modeling/animation (Maya), does CL timing make a huge difference or will the CL 16 64GB included in the QVL be enough for me? I'm referring to relatively basic, typical university (3d programme) assignments, rather than professional client work (high end VFX and such). And likewise for rendering (Arnold), do CL timings matter more/less, compared to Viewport work?
        Last edited by hced; 01-05-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Yes indeed for both

Comment

Working...
          X