Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-3200C16D-32GVK can't boot with any Ryzen

Hi,

I bought a 32 GB kit (16GB x 2) of G.Skill 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM and I can't get it to work at all with two Ryzen processors I have. The model number of the pair is F4-3200C16D-32GVK and given that it's only 3200 MHz, I expected it to work on Ryzen.

The problem I'm seeing on two MSI motherboards is that the CPU debug light goes on and the machine won't POST. On my MSI X570 MEG ACE, I'm lucky enough to get a debug LED code of "22", which corresponds to some sort of memory initialization error. I reset the CMOS on one machine and it made no difference. It's not even getting remotely close to the BIOS initiating so I didn't expect clearing the CMOS to have any effect anyways.

The problem shouldn't be related to XMP profiles either, as both mobos will run the RAM at stock speeds (2400 MHz?) until the XMP profile is manually activated.

The test systems were:

MSI X570 MEG ACE
    Ryzen 5950X
    Bios: 7C35v1F (AMD ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.3b)

MSI B450i Gaming Plus Max Wifi
    Ryzen 5700G
    Bios: 7A40vB62 (AMD ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.3c)

Both exhibit the same behaviour.

I tested the RAM on a third system, Intel i5-7600K + ASRock H170M-Plus and the RAM worked. I ran a full 4 pass Memtest86 on the memory and it worked. I did not attempt any XMP profile. I just wanted to make sure the RAM itself was OK.

I think there's some sort of issue with the Ryzen memory controller reading the SPD or some other aspect of the memory and then failing to initialize it. Both of the Ryzen motherboards

Does anyone know how I can get this RAM working? I tried cranking up the voltage to 1.35 V before installing it and that didn't seem to work either. If I can't get it to work this week, I'll have to return it to the retailer.

Thanks,
    Axel H.M.

Did you populate memory in the second and fourth slots away from the CPU? Have you tried one module in second slot to see if it can be stable under XMP? Do you know if XMP can work if DRAM Frequency lowered to 3066 or 2933?

If the memory works in the Intel system then the modules should be fine.

Comment

Yes, in the 5950X system I used the 2nd and 4th slots and double checked this with the motherboard manual. On the ITX system, there are only 2 slots. I also tested using a single module in each system and that didn't work either.

XMP was off on the ITX system so it should be trying to use the RAM at lower speed anyways.

Comment

Working...
      X