Question For Mixing Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Mixing Memory

I recently completed a new build, which contains the G.SKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4-3600 (2x8GB) RAM, and I felt I needed more memory because most of the work I was doing was using up a high percentage of it, which I underestimated.

This is the product in particular from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-...82E16820232880

I'm not completely tech savvy, but from what I understand, mixing memory is considered one of the worst mistakes you could perform when installing RAM. I was wondering if it's possible to purchase the same product, but in 2x16GB or 2x32GB form, and placing them in the 2 free slots for my MOBO, effectively using all 4 slots, and have it perform normally? Unsure if it would be as bad as it's typically projected to be, since it would be the same series and speed, just different memory capacity.

My motherboard for reference is the ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-Plus (No-WiFi)

Apologies if this is a doomed idea from the start, like I mentioned previously, I'm not entirely familiar with just how many things could go wrong with an idea such as this one.

Projection is always the same in that we simply can not guarantee results if not tested together at factory.

Sometimes mixing works fine, other times not at all, so it is always up to the user to test and see what they can do. Same exact model can improve chances, however there is still no guarantee. Since it is possible to work to some extent I wouldn't say it's a doomed idea to start, but if you expect to run at full speed then probabilities can be slim.

So ideally you want to avoid it if possible especially when it comes to DDR4-3600+. Higher frequency is more sensitive which is why we must produce complete kits, otherwise we could offer individual modules and have people purchase as many as they need, any time.

Most places like NewEgg do offer a 30 day return an exchange policy, so technically if you really wanted to you could give it shot.

Hopefully that helps, keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
    X