No announcement yet.

Trident Z Neo with Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo flashing random colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z Neo with Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo flashing random colors

Hello,

I just built a computer with a using an Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo and 4x8GB 3600MHz, CL14 Trident Z Neo Ram.

All the RAM sticks are blinking and flashing random colors.

DIMM_A1 does it the most. I've tried switching RAM sticks and DIMM_A1 is constantly the worst, which leads me to believe it's not specific to a RAM stick.

It also does it in the BIOS before I even get into windows. (BIOS reset to factory).

If I change it to solid colors it seems to be fine, but as soon as there's any sort of color changing happening DIMM_A1 always lags and blinks and flashes random colors the worst and the other 3 do it occasionally.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,

If have never seen it in my systems, but have heard of it. Apparently it happens when some other software tries to access the hardware resources used for RGB control by Aura/Armoury Crate. So it is basically a sign of a software conflict. Disabling DIMM control in that other application (if possible) or removing/uninstalling it should fix the flashing issue.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I would have thought that too but it happens while in the BIOS (or even booting up), before Windows even starts, so things like Armoury Crate or iCue aren't even running yet.

Comment

Oops sorry, I missed the BIOS part. That seems very odd. Normally the motherboard itself (Aura firmware) should not interfere with the default effect. You could try to reflash the BIOS or up/downgrade to a different version, to see if there is a change. Also watch if it happens at default settings or only after you enable the XMP.

ps: ASUS also has a tool to fix the motherboards Aura firmware, it is linked somewhere in the ROG forums. However it is pretty old, so I am not sure if that is useful for the 3rd gen boards like your Dark Hero. That may be something to ask their support about (they might have an updated one).
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

It did it at factory reset with DOCP on Auto (I have an AMD chip so it's DOCP instead of XMP). I then turned on DOCP and it still did it.
          Asus is my next stop, needed a serial number to talk to them so had to wait until I got home to get it.
          Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...
          X