No announcement yet.

F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB - zero motherboard support, won't boot as kit of 4 on B550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB - zero motherboard support, won't boot as kit of 4 on B550

Hi guys,

So, I actually tried contacting G.Skill Euro tech support, and after 2 weeks, got a reply so bad, it was insulting. I asked many questions in my email, and they literally answered with 1 sentence.

So yeah, the kit above, has "Ryzen compatible" printed on the box, but as far as I've researched (HOURS spent trawling through motherboard makers like MSI/Gigabyte etc) and checking individual motherboard models for compatibility with this particular model, I was amazed to find ZERO boards supported this RAM. None at all!

So why does it have "Ryzen compatible" on the box? As that's a lot like writing Ferrari on a tractor tyre, selling it, advertised as *Ferrari compatible,* knowing there's no wheel that'd fit the tyre, to fit on that car?

My reason for INSISTING on compatibility and help in this instance, is because, like G.Skill tech support being REALLY rude, ASUS are exactly the same, saying they don't even want to talk to me unless my RAM is on their QVL list. I want to RMA my board ASAP, because its cheap, nasty, overpriced, the RAM latches don't even work, the mobo battery won't release easily, and I've lost my faith in Asus who told me to RMA the board instead of helping me.

So will you help me G.Skill this time around? As I want to know why 4 sticks of RAM makes an ASUS B550 A Gaming motherboard, fail to post bios. The RAM LED bug will light up on the board, the RAM will light up, but BIOS does not post. This is a really common problem, and there doesn't seem to be a fix, I've seen it reported on X570 and B550 from Asus, MSI and Gigabyte boards. Sure I expected some issues with a 4 dimm packet, but how can I work things out when the BIOS won't even load? Once it happens, nothing will allow the board to even start up again, requiring the CMOS being cleared.

It just feels like a little bit of a con really, as this is Samsung B-die I'm using here with a 5600X. 2 sticks will boot up fine and run in DOCP mode, but 4 sticks, board won't even start. Why does this happen? Every reviewer out there on Youtube has skipped over this, using ridiculously rare 3200 CL14 kits, 4 x 8gb dimm kits, failing to tell people anything else will give people headaches over even booting.

What motherboard can you recommend for this RAM kit, that's list this RAM on its motherboard manufacturers QVL list? As I already know, there's a huge difference between your QVL list, Pangoly's QVL list, and the QVL for the specific motherboard from the manufacturer.

Also, I gotta mention, the RAM feels kinda crunchy and creaky? The heatsink and light bar on top just doesn't feel very secure.

So any combination of two modules works in A2+B2, even with the XMP enabled? Then at least there is no defect and it is likely more of a BIOS or configuration issue.

Not sure if you already tried different BIOS versions, but in some cases updating/downgrading can help with memory compatibility/improve memory training for certain kits. Personally I have no experience with the Strix B550-A Gaming since I tend to buy higher end boards, but had lots of memory and IF clock trouble with the December releases.

If you can't make any progress, try reducing the memory ratio to DDR4-3533/3466 before you add the other two modules, just in case that the secondary memory slots are too weak for DDR4-3600.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, the 4 sticks will work fine A2 +B2, with DOCP (AMD) enabled.

I originally had this board with a set of 2 sets of 2 x 8gb Thermaltake Toughram (hynix chips I believe) at 4000mhz at CL19, and that would boot and be recognised as 4 x 8, 32GB, but with DOCP enabled, the board would not boot, giving me a DRAM LED warning, and bios not even loading. No other RAM setting as a 4 was stable.

I updated the BIOS, and tried again, and still nothing, so I returned the RAM and upgrade to these G.SKill super bad boys, only to have 4 sticks completely unable to run, just like Thermaltake RAM, but this time, it wouldn't boot as 4 x 8gb at all. I couldn't trick it to boot 4 sticks at all. All 4 sticks would power up.

Yeeah, I only chose this board due to availability and price at the time, and a lot of reviewers saying there's not that much difference between B550 and X570 these days, with most Power delivery mosfet designs being simply overbuilt, or having a third M.2 slot, that runs gimped with all PCIe slots used or all Sata ports used.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Gigabyte X570 board, I was thinking of the x570 Aorus Pro /wifi perhaps as Buildzoid from Actuallyhardcoreoverclocking on youtube recommends them for the strong memory controller, which I was told might be an issue with my board. G.Skill emailed me and said the Aorus Pro/Wifi is on their own QVL list supported for this memory as are quite a few MSI board, and every B550 board by Asus that isn't mine too.

It's just this RAM isn't supported on any manufacturers motherboard QVL list, so I'd have to base my board choice purely off what G.Skill recommends, relying on their support as ASUS have already told me they don't wanna know about my problems if my RAM isn't on *THEIR* motherboard QVL list.

If I have the same issue again, its not like I can try and get the RAM to work as 4 sticks, it just won't boot - game over, and unless I RMA'd another motherboard, up to G.skill to help me. They take the time to print Ryzen compatible on the box of a kit of 4 x 8gb, they should honour that.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
        If you can't make any progress, try reducing the memory ratio to DDR4-3533/3466 before you add the other two modules, just in case that the secondary memory slots are too weak for DDR4-3600.
        Could you please elaborate on your understanding here what would consist of weak memory slots?

Comment

In contrast to motherboards with some form of T-topology where it is advantageous to utilize all memory slots, those with daisy chain DIMM layout tend to have two stronger primary and two weaker secondary memory slots. Because of that the supported max memory frequencies are different between two and four DIMMs (, even if the CPUs memory controller could handle four modules at high clocks). The frequency limit of the secondary slots can vary from one model to another and is influenced by many factors like PCB layers, the actual tracing and also how much work was put into the memory training routines just to name a few.

Overall my experience with the ASUS ROG models is pretty good, but maybe they went a bit too low budget with the Strix A/H models.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
            In contrast to motherboards with some form of T-topology where it is advantageous to utilize all memory slots, those with daisy chain DIMM layout tend to have two stronger primary and two weaker secondary memory slots. Because of that the supported max memory frequencies are different between two and four DIMMs (, even if the CPUs memory controller could handle four modules at high clocks). The frequency limit of the secondary slots can vary from one model to another and is influenced by many factors like PCB layers, the actual tracing and also how much work was put into the memory training routines just to name a few.

Overall my experience with the ASUS ROG models is pretty good, but maybe they went a bit too low budget with the Strix A/H models.
            Well, the A model just missed out the Wifi, Bluetooth and any kind of RGB on it, which normally equates for about £30/40 compared to the model up. They don't normally change the designs too much from there, as it just starts getting expensive to design, and it still has the same 6 layer PCB design that the more expensive B550 strix models have.

That's very interesting, as the board I was considering getting, the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, actually boasts of having a daisy chain design. If you're saying this design is a double edged sword, great for 2 dimms, not so great for 4, then I guess I'll have to find a board that doesn't daisy chain its dimm slots, if that's a feature?

On the plus side, my RAM ran 1:1 at 1900mhz FCLK, (2x 8gb) which I've heard is pretty good, so at least my CPU can handle that frequency, and my RAM.

It'd be nice if G.Skill gave me some help....

Hello? Anybody there at G.Skill?

Comment

Ok, G.Skill,

Would my RAM kit be more compatible with Ryzen at its DOCP running off a T-Topology motherboard, like the AsRock X570 Extreme 4? As off your QVL list for your RAM, you haven't got any T-topology motherboard on there. Are Asus's Direct design comparable to either Daisy chain or T-topology design?

Look at this amazing list somebody created https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...w?usp=sharing#

Comment

Are you using the latest BIOS? With full slots, will DOCP with a lower DRAM Frequency such as DDR4-3400 or 3200 work properly? Or do you mean with all AUTO default settings the system would not boot?

Compatibility is certainly not an issue.

Comment

Latest BIOS - YES.

With full slots (all 4) occupied, YES, the DRAM LED warning light comes on and the BIOS wouldn't post. So, no changes could be made. It just wouldn't boot.

Compatibility certainly IS an issue, as I've checked the motherboards you've listed as compatible for this RAM, and they aren't on the motherboards manufacturers QVL of memory? None of them are! Come on guys, get on the same page as me and stop denying what you or I can prove today ok? Please, don't be in denial or lie to me ok?

Let me give you some more, VERY detailed information to work off. Date today 03/02/2021

You specify my RAM is supported on the following motherboards off your Gskill website.

Gigabyte X570: Only for the 3000 Series Ryzen

Gigabyte B550: Ryzen 5000

None

MSI X570: Ryzen 5000

MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi
                  MEG ACE X570
                  MEG X570 Godlike
                  MEG X570 Unify
                  MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
                  MPG X570 Gaming Plus
                  MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon
                  Prestige X570 Creation
                  X570 A-Pro

MSI B550: Ryzen 5000

MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
                  MAG B550M MORTAR
                  MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI
                  MEG B550 UNIFY
                  MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI
                  MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
                  MPG B550 GAMING PLUS

So lets take the X570 Tomahawk as an example ok? One of MSI's best selling boards.

You say its supported on your QVL list. I'm telling you that doesn't mean much, when I ask you directly if you'll support me if I have issues using hardware you approve, you avoid a YES/NO reply.

If I ask MSI, they will tell me the RAM isn't on their QVL so they don't want to know my problems. Like ASUS have already done.

The latest BIOS for the X570 Tomahawk was released on 04/01/2021, the 7C84v153 Beta version. So why is it, when I screenshot the supported RAM the X570 Tomahawk, that was last updated January 4th, 2021, your RAM is not included on the list?

Lets take another example. the MSI X570 Godlike, one of their flagship X570 boards.

Latest Bios was released 12/01/2021, this year 7C34V1C6 Beta.

I have included screenshots just to prove my point here.

How much more do I need to explain before I start repeating myself for a 5th time now? How can you say "Compatibility certainly isn't a problem" when you don't list any Gigabyte motherboard X570, or B550, to work with Ryzen 5000 and this RAM kit? Gigabyte motherboard have been noted to be some of the best boards supporting RAM, and Buildzoid from Actuallyhardcoreoverclocking recommends them in his own testing on Youtube. He recommends them over any other board, yet you don't support them at all for Ryzen 5000, and tell me there's not a compatibility problem with your RAM?

Comment

QVL is not a matching game. Each company has certain hardware available for testing and different testing standards. The user can follow one or the other. The G.Skill QVL shows which combinations have been tested capable of XMP/DOCP Profile with a capable CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      QVL is not a matching game. Each company has certain hardware available for testing and different testing standards. The user can follow one or the other. The G.Skill QVL shows which combinations have been tested capable of XMP/DOCP Profile with a capable CPU.
                      1. Would you care to answer some of my questions please?

2. So what about T-topology motherboard configurations then? Daisy Chain? Direct dimm? What would you recommend for maximum compatibility with my RAM model? You have recommended boards that are all of these, but I want to get DOCP performance from my RAM.

3. Would you, Gskill, support me getting a motherboard working with your RAM, where the motherboard manufacturer will say they cannot offer support, because your RAM isn't on their QVL? Like Gigabyte's Aorus Pro, which Gigabyte have not listed my RAM on their latest BIOS update and QVL released this year.

Comment

Use the G.Skill QVL or RAM Configurator to see which combinations have been tested. With a proper combination, your system should run at full speed. If not, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Use the G.Skill QVL or RAM Configurator to see which combinations have been tested. With a proper combination, your system should run at full speed. If not, let us know how it goes.
                          It's like you're having problems understanding English, your replies are so bad?

The Gskill configurator doesn't list any Gigabyte motherboards, X570, for Ryzen 5000, in line with your RAM's approved motherboard list. Does that mean you don't recommend ANY gigabyte X570 board with Ryzen 5000? And you said there was no compatibility issue with my kit? Gigabyte is one of the leading brands in motherboard design and have the strongest range out there.

So really, I have MSI, Asus and Asrock motherboards to choose from, because Gskill RAM isn't good enough to run on Gigabyte boards.

Asrock make T-topology motherboards, will they work ok with this RAM?

MSI do Daisy Chain motherboard designs, will they work ok with this RAM?

Asus do Direct channel motherboard memory designs, will they work ok with this RAM?

Well, this is what I've been trying to tell you, of course I'll let you know how it goes, when I can't ask the motherboard maker, as they'll tell me to p*ss off, because I've chosen RAM that's not on their QVL for that board. You haven't even tried to tell me what goes wrong when a motherboard won't even boot with certain RAM, so you've been completely and utterly useless in helping me.

Out of a score of 10, 10 being crucial to getting that knowledge I needed to find a good configuration, id rate you a - 3, being a waste of time, uninformed and with no technical knowledge on the subject.

Comment

G.Skill RAM Configurator shows which memory kit's full XMP Profile has been validated for a specific motherboard model.

G.Skill QVL shows which motherboards have been validated for a memory model's rated specifications.

Currently, Gigabyte X570 B550 motherboards may not be listed for the G.Skill F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB memory model yet as full XMP Profile has not been tested capable, however it is possible a BIOS update has improved on that. The RAM is compatible, it uses the best chips for the motherboard, so the memory can be set as high as the system may support.

Same with AsRock, MSI, and ASUS motherboards, you can expect the best results with this memory kit, however, easy XMP profile set up is only guaranteed for motherboard models listed on the G.Skill QVL.
                            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 02-08-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

G.Skill RAM Configurator shows which memory kit's full XMP Profile has been validated for a specific motherboard model.

G.Skill QVL shows which motherboards have been validated for a memory model's rated specifications.

Currently, Gigabyte X570 B550 motherboards may not be listed for the G.Skill F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB memory model yet as full XMP Profile has not been tested capable, however it is possible a BIOS update has improved on that. The RAM is compatible, it uses the best chips for the motherboard, so the memory can be set as high as the system may support.

Same with AsRock, MSI, and ASUS motherboards, you can expect the best results with this memory kit, however, easy XMP profile set up is only guaranteed for motherboard models listed on the G.Skill QVL.
                              Do you have problems with English?

I really have to ask, as you're struggling to make much sense.

Why are you reffering to XMP? That's an Intel standard timing, not AMD. We're talking about AMD, so that means DOCP timings.

"Gigabyte motherboard *may not be listed* " - no, they're not listed, there is no doubt about that, its a printed fact on your own website. Don't dress this up, its a fact the this RAM is not compatible with 25% of B550/X570 motherboards available to the world, as you don't list Gigabyte motherboards supporting this RAM. SO there is a problem with compatibility.

"Possible" - that doesn't sound very confident? You're just stabbing in the dark here it sounds when you don't even know the difference between DOCP and XMP. And if you had looked at my email, I have already stated that BIOS updates for the end of Dec 2020, and newer updates in Jan 2021, have already been launched across ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and ASrock, and don't support your RAM.

How many times do I have to ask you about T-Topology, Daisy Chain and Direct Dimm memory configurations? Do you know what these are, and what performs better to get this RAM running at full DOCP speeds?

I feel I'd be better off asking a complete stranger in the street, than going to you Gskill for technical support. You've been a huge waste of time, and I just don't think you have any understanding of the knowledge you're typing in reply to me. I have strong doubts you even understand English. I might just return my RAM, saying I have zero confidence in the company. Would that be worth it? (just joking, I don't care about your opinion anymore.)

Comment

Working...
                              X