G.Skill RAM crashing while on XMP, but JEDEC is fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill RAM crashing while on XMP, but JEDEC is fine

I'm about ready to call this just plain incompatibility with my MB and the G.Skill RAM I got (F4-3600C18-8GTZN, 2x8 GB kit), but here we go.

The rest of the system:

B550 Aorus Elite (UEFI v.F10) - the QVL for this motherboard does not show the RAM as being qualified or compatible.
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Ryzen 5 3600 (no OC)
    SilverStone 650w Bronze, non-modular

I can activate XMP 2.0 (3600 mhz) with 18-22-22-42 timings @ 1.35v, but it's not very stable. Booting up is fine, but once you fire up 3dmark Time Spy, or even just Witcher 3, or Civilization 5, it crashes to desktop after a few minutes. Reverting to JEDEC timings had no problems at all.

I'm a total noob when it comes to OC'ing or configuring RAM timings, but I did tinker a while with Ryzen Memory Calculator. I tried sort of 'simulating' a 3200 mhz SAFE XMP profile, but none of the manual timings I set would stick after a reboot. I've already lost track how many configurations I tried, and in one instance, it even flat out refused to boot, causing me to reseat the CMOS battery for it to work.

I'd appreciate any input.

Do you have modules in slots two and four away from the CPU?

If XMP Profile alone does not work, manually set DRAM Frequency to a lower value such as DDR4-3200 until it can boot properly. You may need to do this with each module to see if one performs differently than the other. This can help determine whether there is an issue with memory or CPU IMC limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Do you have modules in slots two and four away from the CPU?

If XMP Profile alone does not work, manually set DRAM Frequency to a lower value such as DDR4-3200 until it can boot properly. You may need to do this with each module to see if one performs differently than the other. This can help determine whether there is an issue with memory or CPU IMC limitation.
      Yes, the RAM is on slots 2 & 4, away from the CPU.

Regarding setting it at DDR4-3200.. do I need to adjust the timings? Or just the rate multiplier? I remember trying this before, and it did boot, but the timings were way too high. Are there any other adjustments I should attempt?

Edit:

Looks like setting the multiplier to 32.00 gave me timings of 22-22-22-52 , and it was stable with 3dMark benchmarks. I'll test this on other games more extensively.
      Last edited by vliktor2020; 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Only the memory multiplier, timings and Voltage can remain same. Timings should not be too high, they should be what XMP specifications are. If stable, you can always lower to optimize performance, but first it is necessary to see what DRAM Frequency can work properly.

For 22-22-22 that is standard, do you have XMP enabled? You can also try manually inputting values to see if settings will stick.

Comment

Sorry for the late update: so I set it to XMP 2.0, everything else to Auto/defaults, but set the multiplier to 32.00. No more crashes! I guess I just lost the silicon lottery.

Comment

Working...
          X