Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 sets of 2 modules or 1 set of 4? Does it really matter anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 sets of 2 modules or 1 set of 4? Does it really matter anymore?

I'm looking to get the F4-3800C14Q-32GTZN (4x8gb neo) but it's sold out everywhere (US at least, online). However, the 2x8GB version isn't. So I was wondering if I bought two sets of the 2x8GB is it really going to be an issue (on an AMD 5950x setup with an Asus Crosshair VIII formula)? By that, I mean, will the 14-16-16-36 timings have just as much chance of succeeding as if I had a single 4x8GB kit? Or is there like some non zero chance that by getting two of the exact same 2x8GB kit that there will be some kind of issue I run into? I keep getting conflicting answers when I google this stuff, plus I'm not sure how much things have changed (if at all) by 2020 and with the new processors. I doubt I'll be overclocking my RAM if that matters.
    Last edited by Architekt; 11-17-2020, 07:58 AM. Reason: grammar

Originally posted by Architekt View Post
    Or is there like some non zero chance that by getting two of the exact same 2x8GB kit that there will be some kind of issue I run into?
    While the risk is probably fairly low in comparison to some other more generic models, there is a non zero chance you might run into issues combining two kits. Otherwise it would also be pointless for those quad kits to even exist.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Well I managed to get super lucky. I was checking NewEgg daily for that 4 pack module I listed in my OP, and one day it changed from "auto notify" to "backordered" and let me put in a back order. Got a notification today that they got it and shipped it out. Now it's back to auto-notify, so I guess I lucked out on the timing!

Comment

Working...
      X