QVL clarification and 128GB 64GB options/recommendation request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QVL clarification and 128GB 64GB options/recommendation request

I'm sourcing parts for a new rig, my first in a decade.
    I've pretty much settled on G.Skill, and prefer to have RGB. Props to the Marketing and Product departments, I guess

Anyway, I was looking to just max things out at 128GB, but have learned that B-die is a thing. And yeah that's going to need to happen now. But seems like I should expect 64GB max...
    I've already purchased the Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard, and am disinclined to revisit that selection. I'll be using a 10850K.

Question 1: What is G.Skill's process/rigor for testing/adding to the QVL? If there isn't a board listed for a given product, but that board is listed on others, should it effectively be concluded that it has been tested and confirmed not to be supported?
    Consider: F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR
    I believe this is the product announcement: https://gskill.com/community/1502239...x4)-Memory-Kit
    Which makes note of - MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE
    But the QVL for it doesn't list that: https://gskill.com/qvl/165/166/16043...14Q-64GTZR-Qvl
    Maybe I've got something wrong? Or is this so new that things are still being tested?

All that is background to say I'd really like to be able to use these sticks. Please and thank you? (Not that it looks like they're available anywhere yet.)

Question 2: The QVL for Neo products lists my Z490 board. Is there really any functional difference that would matter to me being that I'm running an Intel chip? The heat spreader color is slightly different. But functionally all the same? If I can find a Neo kit in stock and the equivalent Trident Z RGB option is unavailable/more expensive, aesthetic considerations aside, I'm good to go?

Question 3 (perhaps a variant of #1): What about F4-4000C18Q-128GTZR? The QVL just has a handful of X299 boards. This is fairly new; is testing yet to be completed?

Question 4: Also there is F4-3200C14Q-128GTZR brand new and not available anywhere yet as far as I can tell. This one lists a few Z490 boards, but not mine. Is that maybe coming? Is the underlying issue here that the motherboard manufacturers commonly need to have a BIOS update released to bring these things together?

tl;dr - I want the best. Prefer to max out 128GB for future-proofing. Happy enough to do 64GB if it's the only guaranteed b-die/best timing/performance I can get. What do I buy?

Thanks!

Answer 1: XMP Profile, we use processors proven of the rated spec, then use them to test and certify full XMP Profile. Many QVLs only test for booting, but we believe if you purchase a certain frequency, you selected it in hopes of running at full speed. There are many possibilities as to why a combination is not listed, but in general it can be assumed if not listed and there is a listing for a lower frequency, the combination simply was not capable at time of testing. However, BIOS update may improve on this and at times QVL is not updated as quickly.

In the case of new products and announcements, the result is not available for public yet so we can not consider it official just yet.

Answer 2: NEO series can work with Intel as well, many Intel motherboards can be found on the QVL despite the "NEO" name originally designed for AMD platforms.

Answer 3: Yes, thus far those are the only compatible motherboards.

Answer 4: Spot on, BIOS update is major, for new items and technology it can take some time especially when it's about optimizing capability. The ability to enable one option and run at hardware's absolute maximum potential seems like a simple concept, but achieving that is not easy.

Any DDR4-3200 CL14 kit is B die and should be sufficient for that system.

Comment

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! The kit I had backordered at Newegg just became available within the hour and they're shipping. Looks like I'll be enjoying the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZR soon. While not the 3200 CL14, my understanding is these effectively net the same performance. And, while not tested at this spec, could possibly be tuned down to 3200 CL14. Also makes my Neo question irrelevant; I had been worried about an extended wait and that option was in stock. Looking forward to this build. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X