X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD with Trident Z Neo

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have the following system running: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GNNgzN
    The system is running with the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory.
    The model number is F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC.

I bought this because they claimed to be specifically made for Ryzen CPUs. I've had the system running for two months, with no issues. During this time I ran games like CSGO, Wolfenstein II, PUBG Lite, and Metro Exodus with no issues. I cannot really remember if after building the system I enabled DOCP on the BIOS and changed the RAM speed from 2133 to 3600 mhz. I just can't remember that I did this or not at the beginning.

Last week, I installed Call of Duty. I played a few days with no issues until one day, while playing, the game just shut down and I was left on the desktop with no errors. After that I started having a few issues: the game would freeze upon start and I would get a game related error that said something like "developer error XXXX" where XXXX was always a different number. I Googled these errors and they are related to the game with several fixes which sometimes work and sometimes don't. Apparently COD is very buggy. But, as much as those errors were game related, I then started experiencing issues with Windows itself. It would also freeze, the screen would go black, the computer would restart by itself, the desktop would hang, I wasn't able to open the task manager and/or close a process, etc. I had to reinstall Windows after trying different last resort solutions like flashing the BIOS with the latest version, re-installing GPU drivers, cleaning the disk, re-intalling games, etc. Temperatures seemed normal and I was still thinking it was a problem related to COD because everything started when I was playing the game.

So after reinstalling Windows, I made sure to enable DOCP and to set speed to 3600 mhz, as that is the speed of my RAM. I then reinstalled COD again and guess what, the same thing happened. The game would crash. Except this time, sometimes it was a developer error like before and sometimes it was a BSOD about memory management. I decided then to take one memory stick out and for a few days I never had BSODs again nor did I had any developer errors from the game. After a few days I put back the suspicious memory stick to see if the problems would appear again. And yes, the game would hang, BSODs about memory management would happen, COD would give developer errors, etc.

I'm not an expert. I am not sure now if the memory stick is faulty or if the DOCP setting is causing the issue. The only thing I changed was enabling DOCP and setting 3600 mhz which is the speed rated for these sticks. I could try disabling DOCP but then the speed would go back to 2133. I guess I could also enable DOCP and set maybe 3200 mhz. But I am not an overclocker, or an underclocker for that matter. Anyways, any advice would be appreciated. I should mention that I've been running the system for many days now with only one stick in, that is 16GB, with DOCP enabled at 3600 mhz, and I've been able to play COD with no developer errors, no BSODs, no Windows issues, no nothing. I cannot notice much the difference but for this system that cost me a lot, I would love to have a dual channel kit installed running at the speeds they are rated for and with no issues.

I live in Taiwan but I bought this kit on Newegg in the US. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by daunda; 05-30-2020, 04:51 AM.

Download memtest86 and install it on a flash drive and run it if it shows any errors your ram is bad.

​​​​​​
    Last edited by Deangelo; 06-04-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X