Issue trying to get Ripjaws F4-3200C16D-16GVKB running at 3200 Mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue trying to get Ripjaws F4-3200C16D-16GVKB running at 3200 Mhz

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help with this situation as I've been unable to get it to work on my own. I recently put together the following parts:
    • Ryzen R5 3600
    • MSI B450 Tomahawk
    • Ripjaws DDR4-3200 8GBx2 Kit (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)
    I chose this memory kit as it was on the list of supported memory on the motherboard manufacturer's website and also because it was available locally and cheap.

I haven't been able to run the memory at full speed however, it is only currently running at 2133Mhz 1.2v which is the fallback speed.

In my BIOS the memory is detected correctly as 3200 MHz dual channel with the correct timings (as printed on the packaging) and I am able to turn on XMP which does run the memory at 3200. I've left everything else as default.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200422-WA0003.jpg
Views:	1886
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	164214
    The issue is that the computer isn't stable at this frequency - it crashes randomly when loaded and sometimes crashes without any load. I've also had it not boot at all and had to do a CMOS clear in order to get it booted again.

I've searched around the internet and some other people have had similar issues but not the same as mine. I've tried the following things:
    • Updated bios on the motherboard - flashed it to the latest version available on the manufacturer's website (November 2019)
    • Tried running at a slower speed by manually setting timing / clocks (2666 and 2993) but neither is stable
    • Tried upping the Vram voltage (1.35 is in the XMP profile, I've tried up to 1.42) which increased stability but does still crashes under a stress test
    Something to note - in CPU-Z it is showing the model number in the slot to be different than the one I have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-22 214501.png
Views:	8470
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	164215

Searching online I found that this might happen if one of the RAM sticks in the kit is borked - is this the case? If so, should I just abandon these and try to get a RMA?

Any help would be appreciated!

~Thanks!

I have a quite similar case, which seems to coincidence a lot with yours. I have exactly same kit from 1.5 years ago, in use, rock solid stable. Was running 2933mhz since beginning, now after BIOS upgrades been solid stable at 3200mhz. Now when trying to upgrade to 32 GB (with alike kit) I don't get new kits (yes two of them) to function.

CPU: Ryzen 2700X
    MB: MSI B450M Mortar
    Memory: F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (16GB as in 2x8GB DIMMS) (Hynix)

This stuff is in QVL list as it stands.

Now I ordered identical kit of memory 1st of April to expand the memory to 32 GB. I would have accepted the fact that I'd need to clock it lower, but alas I didn't get the new kit stable on its own. On any clock I tried. The kit booted 2933mhz, appeared stable at first but then started crashing Windows and also failed in Memtest86.

The difference was that the replacement kit was made by Samsung.

I RMAd the kit and got another one, turns out to be that it doesn't even boot at 2933mhz as a kit, only one of the DIMMs actually boots at 2933mhz but isn't stable. Doesn't boot at 3200mhz at all.

My local dealer has a RMA policy of "Express Exchange" that they ship the replacement first and then they get the faulty part back with the replacement's package; so currently I have access to both the new kits and have tested the DIMMs one by one.

Also the second replacement kit was made by Samsung.

Bottom line:
    1.5 year old F4-3200C16D-16GVKB is rock solid without any issues. 2 separate recent kits of the same F4-3200C16D-16GVKB product code; every DIMM fails to be stable, where the old one is stable one DIMM at a time or as a kit.

Is there some setting that should be different to get the new kits stable? Geardown mode was mentioned somewhere (to actually turn it off to make it stable), but my MSI B450M Mortar doesn't have the setting (or at least not by its name).

I mailed G.Skill support about it as well, and hoping to hear back before I need to RMA the second kit too to my dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by biggerb View Post
      Something to note - in CPU-Z it is showing the model number in the slot to be different than the one I have:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2020-04-22 214501.png Views:	26 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	164215

Searching online I found that this might happen if one of the RAM sticks in the kit is borked - is this the case? If so, should I just abandon these and try to get a RMA?
      For me the single modules are listed alike as in your image: F4-3200C16-8GVKB. This is also on the fully working kit that is (checking right now). I *think* memtest86 showed on single DIMM tests that same on single module, but changed to F4-3200C16-16GVKB, when both DIMMs were installed as a kit (but I'm not sure right now and cannot boot to verify). I just recalled paying attention to suddenly changing memory model name, but realized it being single DIMM vs dual DIMMs.

Regardless, for single module that seems OK to me as I can validate it on fully functional kit displaying exactly like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kallex View Post

For me the single modules are listed alike as in your image: F4-3200C16-8GVKB. This is also on the fully working kit that is (checking right now). I *think* memtest86 showed on single DIMM tests that same on single module, but changed to F4-3200C16-16GVKB, when both DIMMs were installed as a kit (but I'm not sure right now and cannot boot to verify). I just recalled paying attention to suddenly changing memory model name, but realized it being single DIMM vs dual DIMMs.

Regardless, for single module that seems OK to me as I can validate it on fully functional kit displaying exactly like that.
        Thanks for the confirmation on the model number. Something definitely seems wrong with the supply of these as I am seeing in other places online as well that there are issues with the Samsung chip version of these RAMs. The ones I had were Hynix (as can be seen in CPUZ) so I'm not sure if my issue was related but it's still kinda weird that GSkill would have two different chip manufacturers under the same model number.

I also ran memtest which spectacularly failed at anything other than 2133 and even gave errors at 2133 in test 7 but didn't seem to affect system stability in windows too much. I then ran memtest on the two sticks separately with and without XMP enabled and one of the two sticks seemed to be the culprit. All tests would run on one stick fine (XMP or not) but the other one was failing spectacularly - it wouldn't even boot into bios at times.

So my issue is most probably just a borked stick of RAM. Either way, since I really needed this computer up and running - I have had to purchase a different set of RAMs (bought a set Corsair LPX 3600) and will be sending this pair in for RMA. Hopefully when I get it back I can sell it to recoup some of the loss

Comment

Originally posted by biggerb View Post
          Something definitely seems wrong with the supply of these as I am seeing in other places online as well that there are issues with the Samsung chip version of these RAMs.
          Oh and that Samsung B-Die (I checked with Thaiphoon Burner, and I'm quite sure they were Samsung B-Die) is supposed to be superior chip to OC. I need to search for those issues if there are any fixes/workarounds for those.

I'm hoping that there is something wonky about the XMP profiles of the chips, and just manually tuning the BIOS/DRAM settings fixes the issue.

One DIMM being bad doesn't sound too rare (that looks hopefully be your case), having 4 DIMMs all fail in QVL listed combo might be that some parameter doesn't match Ryzen/B450 chipset combo anymore.

Comment

What BIOS versions are being used? Each module should work on it's own so if both have the same issue, definitely need to check BIOS version first. Are modules in slots 2 and 4 away from CPU? If one module performs differently than the other, send them in for RMA exchange to see if a replacement kit can work better.

The part number is correct as it is for each individual module. The memory kit model is different as it mentions how many modules are in a kit, S, D, T, Q, Q2, which are the missing letters in the part number field of CPUz.

Same model memory kits can use different chips. As long as chips can reach a certain spec and remain compatible with G.Skill QVL, it can be used since over time some chips will eventually be superseded or updated.
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

In my case, the newest available; version 7B89v1D released on 2020-01-07.

I'm waiting for my local dealer to inform me what to do; if I'll send both new kits to them or how to proceed - as I already got 2nd kit from them and it worked differently, but not better. I was really happy with the old kit from 1.5 years ago, as it worked well; I'd like to believe I can get functional identical kit as well! :-)

Comment

In my case it is version 7C02v1D from November 2019 which is the latest on MSI's website (see: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/b450-tomahawk)

I've already sent my 2 DIMMs back to the local store I purchased from and the guy there said he'll take care of the RMA. As said before I've already purchased replacements from Corsair so I'm hoping I can recoup some cost from the RMA'd DIMMs. I think, atleast in my case, the issue was with one of the RAM modules as the second one was working fine at XMP speed when operating it in single channel mode but the two wouldn't work together in dual channel mode no matter what I did. And also, yes, I had them installed in the correct slots for Dual channel mode (slot 2 and 4 from the CPU)
                Last edited by biggerb; 05-04-2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Any updates from G.Skill about this? My local dealer couldn't test with B450 and Ryzen 2xxx, so now I got my kit back, can retest and then likely issue RMA, as the parts are in QVL list.

Comment

If a module or kit performs differently than others, send them in for replacements to see if they can work better.

Comment

Working...
                    X