Ram upgrade 32gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram upgrade 32gb

Hello, In 2018 I bought G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 RGB. Last week I decided to upgrade so I bought the exact same kit as in 2018 the (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR). But the problem was that there was no XMP avaible in the bios. If I buy the kit again and replace the old one from 2018 will I be able to enable XMP in bios or does it only work with a 32gb kit? The recent kit is from the 2020 february batch.

All memory kits above standard spec should have XMP Profile. You are saying the new 2020 Feb kit does not? Did you test it on it's own?

Ideally you should get a 32GB kit to replace the existing memory kit. That way all modules were matched and tested from factory.

Comment

I am combining the kit I bought in 2018 with the new one because I needed 32gb. They work on XMP seperatly but if I combine them XMP is not avaible. So my question is if I buy the kit again so I have two 2020 version will it be avaible then for 32gb at 3200mhz or does it only work with a 32gb kit?

Comment

If the XMP is not available when both are installed together, then there are differences in their XMP programming and thus the motherboard disables the XMP function in BIOS. This can happen when for example the IC density is different between both kits (your older kit might be dual rank while the newever one is single rank).

When you buy an original 32GB kit, all modules will be programmed the same and are tested for compatibility with each other. That is one of the reasons why G.SKILL recommends to get a single kit of the chosen capacity in their memory FAQ.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          If the XMP is not available when both are installed together, then there are differences in their XMP programming and thus the motherboard disables the XMP function in BIOS. This can happen when for example the IC density is different between both kits (your older kit might be dual rank while the newever one is single rank).

When you buy an original 32GB kit, all modules will be programmed the same and are tested for compatibility with each other. That is one of the reasons why G.SKILL recommends to get a single kit of the chosen capacity in their memory FAQ.
          Thanks for the fast help. I am just gonna try to buy a second 2x16gb kit. It will prob be the same one from 2020 february so it will work together.

Comment

Working...
          X