Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot Loop on XMP Profile! Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Loop on XMP Profile! Any suggestions?

My setup is:

cpu: intel i7 9700k
    mobo: gigabyte z390 aorus pro wifi-cf
    ram: 4 sticks of 8gb - g.skill trident z royal - ddr4 4000 (pc4 32000) timing: 18-22-22-42 voltage 1.35
    pwr: 700w
    gfx: nvidia founders gtx1080

I was confused at first of the cap on memory speed, but newegg advertised the mobo supported up to ddr4 4266 (oc), and the ram was advertised as xmp 2.0 ready

I've tried flashing both of the latest bios onto one of my 2 bios chips (i guess they have two these days, 1 for backup i imagine?)

There's only one XMP profile, and changing to that causes my PC to boot loop, I have to reset bios manually about 60% of the time.

I've fiddled with voltages very slightly, and the best I've gotten was a frozen mobo logo screen - that time I also changed the CPU profile to gaming

I'm wondering if anyone has any manual suggestions to try?

I would like to get the ram working up to full speed, or even to somewhere 3000+ mhz (since i read there is little improvement beyond 3000), but I don't know what value to assign to timing/voltage and whether i need to adjust cpu voltage or not as well.
    I'm worried that if I changed the settings myself, I'd fry my pc

Thanks in advance!!

(In the aftermath, I've discovered that there are certain lists of tested rams with better guarantee to work with certain mobo's etc. I suppose as the average consumer with a basic knowledge of PC building, I wish the QVL list was well advertised for each product on sites like newegg, mayhap i'll shoot them an email)
    Last edited by Viriality; 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM.

What is the model of the RAM? Did 4 modules come together or are there two separate kits?

Are you using the latest BIOS?

With XMP enabled, manually lower DRAM Frequency until the system can boot and run smoothly. Let us know the results.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      I think the model of the ram is F4-4000C18D-16GTRG ? That's my guess for the model based on the box

It is 2 separate kits of 2, but same model (reading google now on how two separate kits could be an issue)

It looks like they are likely part of the same batch though, serial numbers 20010066201, -202, -209, and -210 respectively
      But of course all 4 weren't probably tested together

I had set the frequency to 3600mhz and that was great.
      Now I've tried it up to 3866mhz and the voltage to 1.35v and changed the timings to 18-22-22-42 and it also works quite nice. I think I could be happy sacrificing 134mhz, the 3600mhz ram that looks identical and had similar timings actually cost about the same

Still, it seems strange that 134 mhz could make that much difference... I'm wondering if 3866 might be unstable when under load, also wondering if manually setting to 4000 could be just fine versus the XMP

Comment

Working...
      X