Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO whats going to be faster? Populating 2 dimm slots or all 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO whats going to be faster? Populating 2 dimm slots or all 4?

Hi, I need some help with memory. Im new to this but think iv got my head round it…

what would be a quicker setup?
    F4-3200C14Q-32GTZRX Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4-3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 1.35V 32GB (4x8GB)
    Or
    F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 32GB (2x16GB)?
    Or
    F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4-3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 1.35V 16GB (2x8GB)

Motherboard is a ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI), so daisy chain? And I’ve got the Ryzen 7 2700.

The 4 Dimm 32GB kit has much lower timings then the 2 Dimm 32GB kit. Is that because the 2 Dimm 32GB kit is dual rank on each memory stick? Or is it just a lower quality chip? As the 4 Dimm 32GB kit will still be is dual rank with all slots populated?
    I know you can change the timings when overclocking but will the 4 Dimm kit just be better quality die/chip manufacturer? If I populate all 4 DIMM slots will I still be able to hit the 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 or will I get a latency penalty due to the memory controller and daisy chain set up on the motherboard as it will still be a dual rank dual channel configuration? Im asking this because I’ve heard that Ryzen doesn’t really like the dual rank setup and prefers single rank? Is that right?

Therefore, would the lower 16GB kit would be faster as it would be single rank dual channel setup?
    Or will every kit hit there MHz and timings in my system?
    Also, what chips/Die are on them?

I do 3d modelling work using and processing big data sets of pointclouds and gaming

Thanks for any help

It is slightly easier to lower timings with lower capacity modules.

C16 model is a different chip which is reflected in specs and pricing. 4 DIMM kit is surely better specs so if you want 32GB, the first model may be the one to get. It is known to be the best chips for AMD CPUs.

With the latest BIOS you should be able to reach near DDR4-3200.

Each one of the memory kits mentioned should be able to run at the rated specifications

C14 kits use Samsung B

Let us know hwo it goes

Comment

Working...
    X