Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Ripjaws V for Zen 2?

Hi all,

I've bought a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVK (2x16gb/3200mhz/Cas16) RAM, planning to pair it with Ryzen 7 3700X when it's out. However, I've read that this pair of memory isn't specifically designed for AMD processors and I can't seem to find a motherboard that's compatible with this RAM in the configurator. I haven't bought a motherboard yet. So my question is, is there a X570/X470/B450 motherboard that supports this RAM? Or should I return this pair?

Thanks

You won't find it as it is not officially designed for AMD CPUs, however, recent AMD BIOS updates have improved compatibility so it can still be used to achieve great results.

Comment

Actual compatibility information for Zen 2 / X570 is probably not allowed to be published yet.

Even though it is not officially listed as being compatible, the kit could still be used on AM4 motherboards. However if the XMP does not work with your AMD setup, you would have to manually overclock it. The frequency, timings and/or voltages might differ from the specifications though, so while it is not rocket science it might require (some/extensive) fiddling with UEFI settings. There is a guide on how to overclock memory manually with Ryzen at techpowerup, that might provide useful in that regard.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...locking-guide/

And from a tweet of the author it sounds like it will be updated for Zen 2 sometime after launch.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for your reply. If I opt for a B450/X470 motherboard, is there one that's more likely to work or I will need to try my luck/all about the same? I did check the QVL list for MSI B450M Mortar/Carbon AC and Asrock B450M Steel Legend and Ripjaws isn't listed in any of them. Presumably because Ripjaws isn't specifically designed for AMD.

Comment

Working...
        X